Cruise Control

The cruise control in my '87 4Runner died, I took the servo apart & the diaphragm is good, have a steady 20 inches of vacuum at the servo. If I pull on the cable that's attached to the servo should the engine speed up while it's sitting in the back yard? Is there a 'secret' fuse hidden somewhere that I need to know about? Thanks RJ

Reply to
rj

Cruise control module is behind the driver's side kick panel. Check the cab ground point that is a bolt with a bunch of ground wires attched to it just above the CC module. Pull the bolt, wire brush or sand the spade lugs and the sheet metal around the bolt hole and put it all back together. That fixed my '85 CC. Module is powered off the 15A Wiper Relay in the cab fuse panel:

Roger Brown

cab ground point that is a bolt with a bunch of ground wires attched to it just above the CC module. Pull the bolt, wire brush or sand the spade lugs and the sheet metal around the

powered off the 15A Wiper Relay in the cab fuse panel:

Reply to
rj

you may have just a simple problem. Cruise control is cancelled by one of 4 actions: hand brake, brake pedal, clutch pedal if you have a manual tranny, and of course the cruise control cancel button. You can put the cruise control in diagnostics mode, you'll need a toyota service manaul for the steps, then yank up on the brake pedal, clutch pedal to see if that solves the problem. as the clutch plate wears, your clutch pedal will sink a bit and send continous cancelling signals to the cruise control computer

Reply to
TacomaDude

the vacuum diaphram is rarely at fault

the vacuum/electric valves that control the vacuum can fail, as can the electronics that control them.

Reply to
I'm Right