Don't put those 4runners away wet!

Another dealer story Just got my 4runner back from the dealer. I request my work be done by the most senior guy, master mechanic, who is also the foreman. Figure if paying $89/hour then get the best.

It was time to replace all fluids & repack wheel bearings. They phoned & said inside of brake rotors badly rusted & needed replacing. And needed front brake service because of excessive grime & dust buildup. I had front pads replaced 18 months / 15k miles ago. So my position is I've had ALL maintenance done by the dealer, at the recommended intervals. I follow schedule A because of the Canadian winters. I understand replacing parts that wear out but I'm upset when parts fail in this manner.

I asked the foreman why they'd get like this in 18 months? He asked if I took my truck for a drive, after washing, to dry the brake system! About 8 hand washes & lots of touchless (but you drive after those). Now after thinking about this what about rainy days or our months of slushy driving in the snow? It's going to bed dripping wet for months at a time. Makes no sense.

Appreciate your feedback.

Reply to
DonLogan

For what its worth, I have an SR5 and a 4Runner. Both go through a creek leaving home, and of course, returning.

Neither has had the rust problem described by your dealer.

My own viewpoint is that I never ask for work unless I'm very specific about what is wrong, or what I want done.

To me, going to a mechanic and describing a general symptom is an open invitation to get taken, unless you are very sure of the shop.

I believe many on this board have the same approach.

Richard Harper Morgan Hill, Ca

Reply to
rdhrdh

I'll accept unsolicited repair ideas from my mechanic, but for good reasons:

1) He'll actually violate the unbelievably serious "insurance company regulations", bring me out to the car, and show me exactly what he's talking about.

2) Numerous times, I've *wanted* things done and he's told me to save my money - the things I wanted were not necessary yet.

3) His business depends 100% on word of mouth, and he's earned his customers' respect.

I can't believe it's that difficult to find others like mine, with a little but of effort.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

BS - dealership is making money - hand over hand on that one! Inside of rotors get rubbed by brake pads just like the outside do s- is he saying the caliper needs to be replaced? A $4.98 can of spray brake clearner will fix the grime. I recently had dealer quote me (in writing on service ticket for the steering link recall) that the 2 $5 plastic steering snubbers were gone (duh!) and it would be $106 to snap the 2 on! Give me a break!

Reply to
Wolfgang

On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:30:28 -0400, "Wolfgang" found these unused words floating about:

-=Steering Link Recall=- ???

Another one Toybloata isn't sending out notices to customers?

Which years and models if the info is handy, please!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

This was announced last Sep and applies to like 89-96 Rnrs and others with ppower steering. I'm orig owner - never moved and didn't get recall leter. I called and gave dealer my VIN and they said yes it was on list. All day job and replaced link bar goes from steering box to each tie rod side. Mine was a '90.

ANNOUNCEMENT-

Toyota announced Tuesday that it will issue a voluntary "Special Service Campaign" for 978,000 vehicles. The campaign involves certain power-steering equipped 1989-1996 4Runner SUVs, compact pick-ups and T-100 pick-ups.

In these vehicles, a crack can develop in the steering relay rod if the steering wheel is turned repeatedly under conditions requiring extreme force, such as when the vehicle is stopped. In the worst possible case, the company said, the rod may fracture causing a loss of steering control.

Owners of these vehicles will be notified by mail, Toyota said, beginning in mid-September. Customers with questions are directed to contact Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I made my living as a mechanic working for my grandpa - he was an independent garage owner who depended on the little yellow page ad and word of mouth advertising. I can't tell you how many cars we had brought in after "the dealer" tried to fix it and didn't or fleeced the customer for a bunch of un-needed parts, when all the time the part that needed to be repaired wasn't. I can also tell you that 99% of the time, the "inside" of the brake rotors ARE rusty - brake rotors are typically cast steel and the area between the machined, parallel sides where the caliper grips via the pads is often "rusty", simply because you can't preserve that area easily. So, yes, it often does rust in there. It's harmless. Normal front brake pads will last between 35000 and 50000 miles, depending on how hard you stop and if you're pulling a trailer or not. Rears will often go 60-70000 miles before needing replacement. Actually, unless you're driving through water (creek crossing), you don't really need to repack wheel bearings that often - about every 20K is fine.

Sounds to me like the dealer had a glut of rotors come in and they needed to get rid of them. You happened to be the lucky guy to help them out. Someone else mentioned finding a good independent garage - I second that motion. Best of luck to you. r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

I'd have them show you the problem areas, take photos, and then have a good independent shop take a look. I think you are being cheated. If so, I'd report this dealership to whichever agency regulates auto repair in your jurisdiction. Be sure you have their paperwork describing the problem.

I agree with all the good advice here. By the way, rotors are cast iron, not cast steel.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ooops - I stand corrected. You're right, Ken. Musta been asleep - I've turned too many of them to know they're cast. Duh- what was I thinking? r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

no, just the rotors. i'm getting them back & will examine them.

Reply to
DonLogan

It's a done deal. I'm picking up the old rotors & will see how bad they are.

Reply to
DonLogan

And this just keeps on getting better!!

Not being an absolute I was told by my friendly "Service Advisor" (another story) that when (s)he uplifted me from the original quote (all fluids & misc above), to now include rotor replacement, that they'd save the parts and show me. So considering my options I said go for it. It's our primary vehicle. When I picked it up I had minor sticker shock. So had several phone/voice-mails with the above SA. He said it was under Nick, the honcho's, bench. And I said I'd be over the next week to pick them up.

My good lady said she was going near the dealership so? Said great, Shawn is the "Service Advisor" & Nick is the Foreman/Designated Tech. Tell them to put the evidence in the back. Figured it would resolve itself if she was armed with the names of the primaries.

She arrived back & reported failure.

She met the aforementioned Shawn & observed 45 TENSE MINUTES of him ducking & diving. Final (after many) stories is that they were thrown out with the rubbish!!! When? ? So? ?

So have a call in to the GM. SA haven't called to explain (duh!) Is this any way to run a railroad? I'm a retired, dedicated follower of the maintenance manual!

Reply to
DonLogan