Electrical question for Tacoma...help please!

I saw the post a little while back about the H4 headlights, and i thought this was a great idea! Sooo i started building my own woring harness using two relays with heavier wire.. I THOUGHT this was going to be fairly easy. There were even a couple schematic diagrams to follow. Welll it didnt work quite the way it shouldve.

Any body got a schematic of the way it should be done, or draw one?

Where i am at right now....I can get the drivers side to work correctly but if i unplug the factory socket on the passenger side it wont work at all, next i got both to work at the same time but... dims will come on fine, but when turning brights on both the dim and the brights are on. =( This is nice in the dark but now ive blown a bulb on the drivers side!( good thing im going to replace them huh?) I know buyung a harness would probably solve this issue but.. I now have all the stuff still to make one.

Luckily i havent spliced into the factory harness at all, that was my whole intention as well. I can still use it as it was supposed to work.

pleeeeeease help!

Steve

1996 Tacoma v6 4x4
Reply to
Steve Grammer

Not sure about the Tacoma, but earlier trucks all used switched ground wiring on the headlights. That complicates the wiring and if your truck uses that scheme, did you take that into account with your circuit (most, if not all, I've seen on the net are switched power designs).

Reply to
Roger Brown

I thought i took that into account, one site had directions for it but only worded, and a schematic wouldve been alot easier. I was just hoping it would work. I guess ill havta look into the pre built wiring setup.

Reply to
Steve Grammer

Reply to
Steve Grammer

FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks y'all!

Reply to
Steve Grammer

Steve, Give this site a try for a basic setup. By now you should know how the Toyota is done, so maybe this will help...

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Thats the site i referred to about the directions being "worded" and not on a schematic.. maybe im just not good at "word problems" Thanks though, it was a really good site!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Grammer