Etrailer problem

Got a new Tacoma a few weeks ago -- as expected, love the truck! Had a Toyota hitch installed and needed to get attendant stuff for towing -- ballmount, hitch ball, stepdown adapter for my 1.25" bike carrier, etc. I've ordered stuff from Etrailer.com before with good results; so, I did so again. Following are comments I've tried to send to Etrailer.com (not sure they went through). Anyone had any similar problems getting response?

-------------------

On 6/15/07 placed my third online order with Etrailer. Until this experience, I have been very happy with Etrailer. I am no longer so.

Received current order for a ballmount, hitch ball, pin and 2" to 1.25" adapter on 6/20/07. Everything was in good condition except the adapter, which looked to me to have been severely used. It was scratched and gouged. In one place the paint was chipped completely off and there was surface rust. It was not structurally damaged that I could see, but, as I later told Etrailer, I expect new products to look new!

I immediately called customer service. I was asked if I could send pictures; so, I took a set of photos with my digital camera. At that point I was ticked, to say the least, but thought I might wirebrush the adapter and repaint it myself. Overnight, I changed my mind.

On morning of 6/21/07 sent a complaint e-mail to customer service with photos attached describing my dissatisfaction and requesting a prepaid return shipping label. Called Customer Service when the company opened (9:00 a.m. Eastern time). Woman on the phone was apologetic. She checked to make sure my e-mail had arrived. It had, and she said she could see what I was talking about. She also said she would turn my complaint over to one of the managers, who would get back to me within "a couple of days." I explained I had some upcoming travel and wanted to get this matter handled expeditiously. I even gave them my cell phone to call (something I almost never do).

It's been almost 24 hours and I have heard NOTHING. In fairness to Etrailer, I have been satisfied with past performance and 4 out of 5 items ordered this time. However, this incident is enough for me to consider terminating any relationship with this company. It leaves me with the opinion that the company is much more willing to take my money than to give it back when something goes wrong.

--------------------------------

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

Fair?

They probably drop ship this stuff from the manufacturer and need a response from them. From your post:

"She also said she would turn my complaint over to one of the managers, who would get back to me within "a couple of days." By your own words, it's not even 24 hours yet!

It's CHIPPED PAINT, and they're doing what they told you they would do. If you want instant service, pay full retail and buy it from a walk-in joint.

Since you've stated the device is perfectly usable, use it, and do whatever they tell you to do once they follow up.

Are you staring at the phone waiting for it to ring?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Go buy an adapter for your travels at a walk-in store.

In 2 to 3 days when you hear back from Etrailer, return their product.

QED

Reply to
jp2express

I'm man enough to eat crow when I need to. Just got an e-mail from etrailer offering to resolve the problem several ways. Apparently an e-mail was sent yesterday that disappeared somewhere in cyberspace. Based on this response, I will definitely continue to use etrailer. I use them not so save money (because I frankly don't see that their prices are significantly different from walk-in stores or other Internet dealers) but because they have a full line of stuff. In fact, by the time I pay shipping, I'm definitely not ahead of the game.

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

Glad to hear it worked out!