Freon Capacity? 87 Truck

Does anybody know how much freon a 87 Toyota truck holds? Mine has leaked out and I'll be filling it from scratch (after fixing the leak of course ) Thanx!

Mike

Reply to
STRMN567

Probably uses R-12 (unless you changed it). Don't bother trying to refill it with R-12. Convert it to R-134a via various methods, or live without the A/C. Or better yet, treat yourself to a new truck!

LugNut

STRMN567 wrote:

Reply to
Brian

If I recall its like 2 1/2 lbs but you need to evacuate and use gauges when filling --- over filling is probably worse than under filling. It is not the same if you convert to R134 from R12.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks guys--I'm going to keep it R12 for now as I have a couple of cans of it--looks like I'll need another can if it takes 2 1/2 lbs. Thanx again!

Mike

Reply to
STRMN567

Before you start, price out R-12, it has gotten seriously expensive. And unless those 1 Lb. cans are old stock or imported illegally, you can't buy R-12 without a Refrigerant Technician license, and in 30 Lb or 50 Lb. cylinders only, big investment.

In the long run (figuring top-offs of 1/2 to 1 Lb. every few years for the life of the truck) it may be far cheaper to convert it to R-134 than to buy R-12.

If you do stick with R-12, have a technician check the car with a sensitive leak finder, and seal the system up as tight as you can. This might mean replacing a hose or two, or a bad seal on the compressor.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Another vote for the R134 conversion ... the cans of R12 will more than pay for it.

Reply to
JeB

Thanx guys--I seriously considered doing the conversion (to 134) but the truck has 258,000 miles on it and I'm starting to crave a new truck (toyota of course). I have my Tech license (609) so i can buy R12.You are right --it IS expensive,but I had 2 cans allready. Thanx for all the replys!

Mike

Reply to
STRMN567