Gruntin / Grinding on starting

Hi Guys, I have a 03 406 110 HDI which makes a grunting or grinding noise for

1 second immediatly after startng. The noise appears to come from the nearside of the engine and is intermittent but usually does it when starting from cold. The car runs perfectly otherwise. any help would be appreciated.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

pully or clutch bearing?

Reply to
Chris

I would think it's the starter motor. I don't think it is detrimental, just noisy. Up to you whether you want to lash out for a new one!

Reply to
Nigel

Many thanks for the comments, I suspect you could be correct as the noise starts as soon as the ignition key is released which is when the bendix should be retracting. A new company car forces the sale of the car so I will have to get it replaced as the noise would be a turn off for a buyer. My local Pug stealership have quoted £475 for a replacement. Might have a go myself when it warms up a bit. Thanks for your help.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

That's a bit excessive! Do it yourself, it's quite easy. You will need a 8mm Allen Key socket, a 13mm spanner and a 8mm spanner. Remember to disconnect the battery!!

Reply to
Nigel

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

very easy to do it will only take 20 mins at most.if you got the proper tools.

Reply to
Chris

Chances are that the shaft or solenoid just need cleaning.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

It's attached to the top of the starter motor!! Generally not available seperately.

Reply to
Nigel