Help! - airbag light on

I have a '99 Tacoma and just tonight I hit the ridge in a road intersection which jolted the truck and all of the sudden the airbag light came on in the dash display. FYI: The speed limit was 55mph through here. I immediately stopped to get the owner's manual out and apparently I am supposed to take it to the dealer "immediately". This happened 20 minutes after the service shop at my dealer has closed so I can't even figure out if it is safe to drive there or if I can take it to another qualified shop - like a national chain mechanic. (Merchant's/Goodyear, etc.)

Any suggestions on diagnosis or just simply bring it in? I am really hoping that it is just a loose wire but I don't know the intricacies of the system.

Thanks!

Reply to
stefan

My opinion, for what it's worth, don't drive that truck anywhere other than to the dealer to get it checked out - and on your way there go slow and easy over bumps like that. And call them first to see what they suggest - if there's a chance of accidental deployment they'll know.

You don't want an accidental airbag discharge - that's at least $3,000 to fix, between the replacement bags, the dash cover and steering wheel cover, the windshield that inevitably gets broken... The insurance company won't be happy.

Not to mention a clean pair of shorts for driver and passengers. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

intersection

Reply to
Lord Howard Hurts

I would suggest a tow truck. An airbag is most likely the fastest thing that will ever hit you. Last wreck I had and the SRS deployed, I was hurt worse by the airbag. I ended up with a pair of broken glasses and a broken nose. Mike

intersection

Reply to
Mike the Cop

From the three responses that I had up to now I was apparently pretty lucky not to have had a deployment occur. The initial incident occured nearly twenty miles from home. I drove home, then back out again to the dealership for a night drop once a ride was figured out. Some of you are cringing right now reading this but there is no "advice" given through the owners manual such as was available here so I count myself lucky!

Off to call the dealer to find out what the damage (both physical and $$) may be!

intersection

Reply to
stefan

Well, $380 later and the passenger side key-operated switch being replaced, I have my truck back. The part was about $210, the other $170 was LABOR! I think I am in the wrong business...

intersection

Reply to
stefan