How can I keep Cigarette Lighter always on in 4 Runner when Ignition Off?

Just got a GPS opertating off cigarette lighter but lighter and extra 12 volt receptacles only on when ignition is. Is there a simple way to rewire to keep one receptacle on when ignition off? Have 2000 4 Runner Limited. Thanks

Reply to
PMD

rewire it to a constant 12 v source, use the proper sized wire and fuse it at the source

Reply to
I'm Right

There have been a couple posts in the past on this subject. Do a Google Groups search and you should find it. Also,

and
will probably have this on their web site as it's a common request. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

-- One possibility is your radio. If it has a clock in it it has two hot wires. One is switched through the ignition for the main radio functions. The other is always hot and keeps the clock running and the station memory presets. Locate the always hot wire and splice into it. Use a suitable fuse in the wire to the GPS.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Usually you can just locate the relay that supplies power to the circuit from the ACC contact on the ignition switch, pull it and jumper the socket to bypass the relay. I tdid this on the power windows in my '85 4Runner:

Here is a writeup on the same mod on a 3rd gen 4Runner:
Or, as suggested in another reply, just re-wire the socket with a dedicated wire from the battery. This is what I did on mine, since I had blown the fusible link on it. My dedicated power feed is much more stable than the factory circuit that seeme to have a lot of voltage variation.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

I had a GPS unit (not a map unit) and wired it directly to the battery. One of the factory techs told me what size inline fuse to use. It worked great.

When I no longer had a use for it I gave it to my son and he hard wired in in his car the same way I did. As far as I know, it's still working.

Skip

Reply to
Skip