Questions on '97 F150 engine: Is it the head or the block?

Hello Again:

For those of you who have not read my original posts, they are at the bottom.

My question:

Would it be possible for me to determine whether it is the engine block or the head cracked? (I hope I am using the right terms here for parts of the engine...). I don't have any tools except for a few screwdrivers, wrenches etc. for home us.

If it is not possible for me to determine it, how does a mechanic go about identifying where the crack is?

Also, could, say, a leaky gasket be the cause of coolant discovered in one of the cylinders?

("Found coolant in cylinder #3" is what my mechanic said. He was not sure whether it was the head or the block...)

Deguza

-------------------- My earlier post

I got the bad news: My mechanic says I may have to replace the engine. He gave me an approximate cost. But he was hinting that I should get rid of it.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any other folks had an engine (6 cylinder, I think 4.6) replaced on a F150 recently? How much did it cost? For a truck that is 9 years old, do you think it is worth investing more money?

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Odds are not good of finding the problem w/o tools.

The mechanic removes the head and looks.

Yes a gasket could be leaky around cylinder #3 .

or the gasket - till you take things apart a bit you can't tell but now since you told us the problem maybe the guyz who know the 4.6 can help, maybe the head gasket is a common failure on the 4.6L .

Reply to
samstone

Blocks generally do not crack unless they freeze or are severely over heated.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sno , why chop my message and respond to me? It's very rude and you're not telling me anything new. Thanks

Reply to
samstone

You can have a crack in the head or the block, or an erroded head gasket. The good news is, when the head it taken off, the cracked part can be easily identified. If the head or its gasket, then repairs are pretty straight forward, if the block then things get more complicated -- expensive.

Assuming the tool list you gave us, you are ill prepared to remedy this problem on your own. You will require significant participation from of your checkbook, and the assistance from your local mechanic.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

POINT OF ORDER Sam, You should get into the habit of placing a line break or two before and after your comments. It is difficult to tell what you are saying sometimes because your comments are hidden in the text of to person you reply to.

Your point that Sno replied to you instead of the OP is well taken, but might be rooted in your habit of not separating your comments.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff , Thanks for the input , I'll remember your suggestion.

Reply to
samstone

You're welcome. It will make it easier to keep up if the conversations do not run together.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

To keep the threads shorter and to the point. You must be insecure if it bothers you because it is not meant to be rude at all.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well you failed at your lame attempt at shorter threads didn't you?

Reply to
samstone

Perfect. That was much easier to follow.

Thanks for taking the tip ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Guess your big line breaks make no difference either, huh? OVERRULLED!

Reply to
samstone