Ignition Switch Trouble?

This is the first time I have posted to this newsgroup, although it is regular reading material and the tech support and advice helps keep my third toy pickup, a 1990 extra cab 2WD 2.2RE automatic toy, with 205 000 km, on the road.

My recent problem has not come up in any past discussions posted. So if anyone can help, please do.

Arrived home Friday evening and the pickup was working fine. Parked it for two days. Digging out after a Sunday snowstorm, the pickup would not start. The battery (brand new, installed nine days before) was totally discharged. Connected a battery power pack to boost the pickup. While ignition was in the off position, the dash engine oil light and dash brake light (idiot lights) came on as soon as the power pack was connected. This seemed only remotely odd at the time. The pickup started fine and the lights went out. After 30 minutes at idle the ignition was turned to the off position. The dash engine oil light and brake light stayed on, as well as the daytime running lights and the instrument cluster lights (probably why the battery was dead). Tried moving key in the ignition to the accessory, run and off positions several times, to see if the ignition was sticking. I restarted the pickup, and noted nothing unusual in the starting sequence of engine lights and shift indicator lights, etc. Turned off the ignition again and no change in the condition. I rounded up the usual suspects, fuses, and nothing unusual there. I disconnected the battery cables and, of course, everything went off. The battery was charged for 36 hours to full its full capacity. When reconnected, the daytime running lights were off, but the dash idiot lights were still on. When started and shut off, there was no change in aforementioned the condition (i.e. the dash engine oil light and brake light stayed on, as well as the daytime running lights and the instrument cluster lights). Must resort now to disconnecting the battery whenever I turn off the pickup, a real pain in the a**.

Anyone out there in Toyota land had any similar experiences and can offer any suggestions or comments? I suspect it is in the ignition switch.

IAN East Coast of Canada Where in winter, nothing escapes the wrath of tons of salt used to de-ice roads, not to mention the Oceans salty breezes.

Reply to
IDM