lack of power 2002 tacoma

how canu get more power in the moutans i see to lose power when i go to reno nv from sac cal wht can one do or whts wrong here i thought the emc should adjust for moutains??

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Cleaned up for the spelling and punctuation impaired...

The Engine Management Computer can adjust the fuel quantity, and the ignition timing, and several other parameters so the engine runs at it's best. Unfortunately, it can't adjust the altitude, it can only sense it and adapt the engine to work properly at the altitude you're at.

To get lots of reliable power from a Gasoline or Diesel engine at higher altitudes requires forced intake induction - either a turbocharger or a supercharger. Either one will work, all it does is pump in more air so the engine is effectively running at a lower altitude. Much lower, like several hundred feet below sea level. So low that the computer might run out of fuel management 'map' data, so you may have to modify the computer program with a chip, or add an enrichment injector that kicks in when the manifold pressure boost does.

There are advantages and drawbacks to both types of blower systems that would take pages to explain. Search around - Toyota Racing Development has sold both kinds of kits engineered for various cars, and there are aftermarket companies like Paxton. And if you are starting out from Sacramento CA, you should be very sure that the system you choose has a proper CARB Exemption Number and comes with the proper paperwork, so you can get your car passed by the smog check inspector and registered again after the modifications.

This can be a DIY job that is complex but fairly straightforward /IF/ you buy a pre-engineered system kit and follow the instructions to the letter. Otherwise it can be a very expensive learning curve - as in, you'll most likely blow up a few expensive engines (for real) before you figure it all out on your own. The setup doesn't have to be off by much at all, and you'll start melting holes in pistons or sending others out through the bottom of the crankcase or out the side of the block...

And if you add a supercharger to the engine don't forget that the cooling system has to be up to the task also - you're producing big sea-level power now, and the radiator has to be able to get rid of all that excess heat into the thinner air you're really driving through.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:51:02 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman found these unused words floating about:

I've -never- lost power when going from sea level to Reno or even Tonopah!

Only time I felt less power was when I'd pretty much filled the air filter fro a run through Saline Valley.

Perhaps the impairment includes lack of maintenance checking?

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

When I had a 1990 sr5 xcab 4wd 3.0 v-6 auto, I was told to leave overdrive off. I can't stay in high gear Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Oh, and it's better with the 3.4 v-6.

Now I have a 2004 sr5 xcab 4wd 3.4 v-6 auto. Crusing way over legal speeds LA to Las Vegas, I still need to stay out of overdrive. I doubt a stick shift would help much, but at least the manual shift wouldnt hunt in and out of overdrive at each little incline like the automatic.

I suppost the Tundra v-8 is next..

Reply to
SBC User

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:07:17 GMT, "SBC User" found these unused words floating about:

Got a problem then ...

I run 1200 miles from Astoria OR to LV ... hills to 7,000 -in- overdrive. Not a problem with 'hunting' .... well that's unless you're trying to use the abysmal excuse for a 'cruise control' anywhere but on the failry level sections.

2002 V-6, DC TRD with loaded shell.

Hell, even Penske's RENTAL TRUCKS have a better CC than toyblota.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

You got me on the cruise, at least part of the time. Pushing it a bit fast too. I was 85 or so 2700 rpm overdrive, speed drops amd 3400 rpm overdrive off. Seems there should be some sort of gearing that would allow 3000 rpm. Sometimes I wish I got the manual over the automatic, but I'm not trading up of such a little complaint. If anything would get me, I might trade to get a Limited. I miss the factory sunroof from the 1990.

Reply to
SBC User