Land Cruiser 1996 towed camper to Wyoming

This past summer we used our 1996 Land Cruiser to tow our pop-up camper to Wyoming (Yellowstone N.P.) from Michigan. The voyage while towing the camper was terrible! When the road was absolutely FLAT we would travel okay. However, when faced with the slightest incline, the Land Cruiser would loose power and start to get really hot. We never totally broke down, although we spent many nervous mile driving along the right lane shoulder trying to stay out of people's way. As soon as the camper was parked, our old Land Cruiser would travel at highway speeds, up and down all of the mountains like nothing happened. Sad to say, but the ride home was just as excruciating as the ride out. HERE IS THE QUESTION: is this typical of an Land Cruiser? This was our first cross-country trip towing with the Cruiser. The Michigan roadways are fairly level, so we never really stressed the old Cruiser. This coming summer (2005) we will tow the camper to West Virginia and through more mountains, and we don't want the same scary excitement. I can't decide if our Cruiser is failing or if all Cruisers tow this same fashion. Would the addition of the TRD SUPERCHARGER be of any use, or should I look into selling the Cruiser and purchasing a GMC Tahoe??? TIA for any suggestions. ---Bonny and Family

Reply to
Bonny Lynn T

Sounds like you might have a clogged radiator or a head gasket problem. Have the cooling system pressure tested to see if it is being overpressurized by the engine or have a chemical test done on the coolant to check for exhaust gas contamination:

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown