Learn from my mistakes - plug wires. Plus a plug question.....

Do not, repeat do not purchase aftermarket plug wires if you have a

3.4 DIS V6. I replaced mine probably a year ago with a CarQuest set. Yesterday, I went to change the plugs and every one of the terminals that contact the spark plug tip pulled loose from from wire and remained on the plug. Buried six inches down in the center of the valve cover! Much cussing and fumbling with needlenose pliers got the terminals off.

So....I bought factory wires and here's the real kick in the head - the factory wires are some $10 cheaper than the aftermarket set! Far and away better quality as well. In the mid $50 range. I know that's a lot for 3 plug wires though.

Now the question. All of the plus looked clean with the exception of the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side. The ceramic insulator on that one had a slight brownish red discoloration. Any ideas?

Reply to
chestand

Out of curiousity, did you have a reason to replace them?

I have ignition noise in my ham radios and would like to get rid of it. The truck is a 2003 and only has 3 real spark plug "wires" on it. Wondered if there was an alternate resistor-type plug that would help...

Mike

Reply to
Mike M

Hey, I found this out years ago. Anyone who knows anythign about this would not get anything buy OE. Live and learn, you are much wiser now. And the old wives tale of the dealers being more is also put out to pasture.

It will vary a little, all the conditions sound OK.

Reply to
MDT Tech®