Looking for Buick Experts

I have a 1986 Yota 4x4 on a 1980 yota chassis, strait axles of course. It's lifted pretty good and has 35's on it. Needless to say, I did a Buick 231 swap. Luckily I had two motors, cause I ended up throwing a rod on the first one... I am having a wicked problem keeping it cool... It has a 4 core radiator in it from something????? under what.. I threw a new water pump on it, and changed the thermostat.. still Overheating... It doesn't have a Fan Shroud, It has a Flex fan on the front motor Pulley, and a 12" electric fan set up in front of the radiator. My guess is that my radiator is bad. Fitment of a new radiator with the cooling capabilities is my question.. Any idea if a radiator from a 3.0 v6 Yota might be able to cool a

231 buick?
Reply to
Ian Connolly

Try find a Diesel rad, they seem to work much better than all the petrol units. Not sure if the 3litre diesel rad will fit but I'm sure it can be made to go in.

Reply to
Scotty

On the surface it would seem the 3.0L rad would be too small for the 231c.i. as it's a 4.6L. This is slightly more than 50% larger so I'd guess it would be marginal. Like Scotty said in his post, the diesel rad from the same 3.0L would be designed to flow more coolant so it might be a good choice. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
Ian Connolly

I'm not sure on the diesel either. You are correct on the 3.8L For some reason the brain didn't work right when converting. :-) That being the case, the rad for the 3.0L should be large enough. If the rad you're going to use is used, making sure it's clean inside is a must. The next V6 in the Toy's truck line is a 3.4L and has been out long enough you should be able to find one in a salvage yard. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

be-cool radiators make a number of various custom radiators. You might want to give them a call.

I don't think toyota offers the diesel in the US for the pickups

Reply to
Elbert