lucky, lucky steering loss

We were driving down the Sea to Sky highway in BC here and about 10 mins outside of Horseshoe Bay my friend loses all steering in his 85 4x4 Yota. It ended up being the drag link that lost it's connection. Now I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the sea to sky but we must have horseshoes up the yin yang cause it lost steering coming out of a corner that lead straight into a rest stop as opposed to the 50 previous corners leading off cliffs or into jagged rocks or oncoming traffic After a couple hours trying to jury rig it back together with some kiteboarding string a passing Aircraft mechanic leant to us we determined that no, it was not going to happen tonight and being 5:30 in the morning we were content to give up and phone the house for a ride where it just happened that our friends were getting home from a party and by that time were sober enough to drive.

So people do check your older trucks steering from time to time. The Drag link looks like a 10 minute fix, instead of a 6 month hospital stay.

Oh and do your best to build up all the good Karma you can, you never know when you might need it.

Alive and well,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

Andrew, I've driven that road, I know what you mean about the cliffs, Its beautiful, I definitely would not want to lose my steering there.

Reply to
zephyr

Found out that there is a Toyota recall put out a couple of months ago regarding the drag link fracturing and causing crashes. My 90 22re 2wd was affected and replaced at the dealer at no charge. All reading this might want to call Toyota with your VIN and see if it applies to you.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Found out that there is a Toyota recall put out a couple of months ago regarding the drag link fracturing and causing crashes. My 90 22re 2wd was affected and replaced at the dealer at no charge. All reading this might want to call Toyota with your VIN and see if it applies to you.

Reply to
MrFixit469

I know the feeling well. My truck is parked in the driveway now with an extremely worn draglink. All this time I thought it was the steering box. When a friend got below the truck and held the tire steady, I turned the steering wheel. He showed me what to see and we swapped places. I was shocked! I carefully drove home and there it sits awaiting new parts.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Yeah it's a sketchy thing that worn drag link situation. I've heard something recently about a recall on them so just for the heck of it I'd email Toyota with your VIN to see if there are any applicable recalls. I sent them my VIN not expecting much and now they're going to give me a new head gasket and steering rod relay as well as do some work to the DRL's at no cost to me.

Cheers,

Reply to
DruG

No kidding? I'll check that out. Did they explain the head gasket?

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Not really just that it's still an active recall campaign. All the stuff is for my 91 ext cab v6.

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG