Manual transmission problem

1989 Toyota 4x4, manual trans, 4 cylinder

During this cold, Colorado winter, I found myself not able to shift all the way into 2nd gear. The problem with 2nd gear seemed to migrate to 4th gear and second gear was okay. The shifter stick does not travel as far as it should when trying to shift. It almost "feels" as if there is a rock stuck under the boot, but I checked. So when I'm driving, I pretty much have to hold it in while driving. It will go in just enough to drive if I hold onto the shifter with a good amount of force, but will slip out when I decelerate (if I do not hold it firmly). Any ideas?

Thanks AG2

Reply to
ag2ward

Easy 1/2 hour fix. There is a nylon or hard rubber dark green flat washer (acts as a bearing) at the bottom of your shift lever - it cracks and breaks. Think it is called a "hard rubber shifter seat". While there also replace the nylon shift tip locator (bushing). When I did mine I also drained the transmission and differential (4WD) and replace with Valvoline synthetic fluid. Remove shifter trim and boot. Remove bolts holding shifter in. The green seat is (was) at bottom of the ball on the shifter stick.

Reply to
Wolfgang

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I would suspect the shift forks have wear......

but...what Wolfgang suggested.....is a very likely candidate for the symptom, and a KNOWN failure item, and should be the FIRST area to look at.

anywhooo..... take a look......your shifter should be extremely similar if not the same...

let us know

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster