Map Lite Replacement

I realize that it's probably a pretty silly question but how do I access the light bulbs on the overhead map light in my '85 SR5 Extra Cab. I've taken the lens off of the dome light and replaced the bulb in that but I can't figure out how to remove the map light housing. I'm afraid that if I just pull it down that, it being plastic, I'll break off one of the mounting tabs or something. Is there a secret to removing this housing? I stopped into the local Toyota dealer and talked to one of the guys in the shop and he said that he thought that it just pulled down but that it would probably crack because it's so old and brittle. I don't want to break it. There must be a way to take it off without breaking it. Anybody know how??? Thanks In Advance. Jerry

PS If you prefer to answer this via e:mail, remove one of the zeroes in the above address. Thanks again. jj

Reply to
Jerry

On my '85 4Runner, the cover on the map lights just pops off, use a small screwdriver to carefully pry up to separate the two.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks for the response Roger. You say to "use a small screwdriver to carefully pry up to separate the two." Excuse me for sounding so dumb but separate the two what? I've tried using a screwdriver to get the housing off of the roof but it seems to not want to come off and like I said earlier, I don't want to break it. Can you please be a little bit more clear with your instruction? TIA. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Sorry, there are only two pieces, the base and the trim, so use asmall flat bladed screwdriver between the trim/cover and the base:

Pry it up and reveal the light bulbs underneath:
The base is screwed to the roof sheet metal, you don't want to pry it off.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address

Thanks again, Roger. Those pictures showed me exactly what I needed to know. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I guess it looks like you can pry out the small black piece around the map light itself, but that doesn't seem to be a separate piece.

Reply to
Roger Brown