my 4runner stinks

Thought I might throw this out, hopefully someone will have some good advise. Whenever I am stopped at a light or wherever, there is this awful smell, is becoming downright embarrassing. My friends say it is the fuel/air mixture while I am inclined to suspect the catalytic converter. Anyone?

Reply to
P Jenner

Thanks for the reply, mazdaman. As far as I can tell, the truck is not using any more fuel as usual, am getting on average 400km per tank (65 liters). This works out to around 14/15 mpg. This seems rather poor but then again it has always been like this. The engine is a v6 5-spd, with

329,000km. There was no black soot in the tailpipe although the putrid exhaust smell sounds familiar. Is there a way to check the O2 sensor? Or how cheap is it to replace? TIA

Reply to
P Jenner

Reply to
P Jenner

Oh, BTW it is a '90 4runner as well!!

Reply to
P Jenner

Unless the bulb is out on your Check Engine light, that would be on if the computer found a fault with the o2 sensor. There's a resistance check you can do too from the diagnostic terminals. I vaguely recall it being between .5-.9vdc and fluctuating a couple times a second or so. If you want to try the resistance test let me know and I'll pull my book out for the specifics. The problam could be your converter and not related to my problem. My truck didn't have a converter on it when I got it and I never put one on (shhh!). So I know my problem wasn't at all related to that. I got my oxygen sensor at oxygensensors.com for $49.99 and spliced my old connector to it. They have one with the connectoer already on it for $59.99.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Well, the 'check engine' light is operational, it comes on momentarily when I turn on the ignition. I did manage to find the o2 sensor, right before the convertor. There was a lot of oil thrown around it, but I think that is because of the seal on the output shaft; however that is another story..... Could not track where the wires went, do they go into a diagnostic box or something? Hopefully up top in the engine compartment somewhere.

Reply to
P Jenner

Reply to
P Jenner

Think I found it, is right next to the fuse box, tiny little grey box....will have to clean out the contacts first, looks like it's gummed up, TIA

Reply to
P Jenner

I also have a 1990 4Runner with the V6 and Auto. I live in Toronto, Canada and experience the same issue. I started getting the rotten egg smell right after I replaced the exhaust system and converter. I have taken it to the dealer but the air/fuel mixture is fine.

I believe part of the cause is the high sulfur content. In Canada, ESSO, SHELL and Petro Canada have very high sulfur content 500-750 PPM. I am not sre what BC's sulfur levels are, but I have heard that Ontario is the worst. Sunoco currently has the lowest sulfur content in Canada at around 200 PPM, so try a couple of tanks to see if it helps.

FYI.... In 2005 all refineries in Canada will have to get there sulfur level down to 30 PPM.

Your gas milage seems low especially for a standard. I get about 520 KM driving all HWY and 450 city/Hwy mixed, with an Automatic. Maybe you are a harder driver than me or just driving up all thoses beautiful mountains. I use to live in Vancouver and miss it very much.

Reply to
Silentsam

that is interesting.., the second time I have heard that about the sulfur content > We don't have Sunoco out here. Is there a website that gives you all that info about sulfur content? there is Mohawk gas which is touted as the cleanest but who really knows? Maybe I'll try some quality gas, am running on 87 octane right now. Actually about those 31" tires, I actually got around the same mileage with slightly bigger tires before I switched to

31x10 tires. Now I'm getting 50 extra kms... Funny thing, the only reason I switched was because the driving tire literally disentigrated while I was driving back from CA. Figured it was time for a change considering the condition of the other ones! The tire ripped away well near the entire rear wheel well when it went. Fortunately,
  1. no one was hurt and 2. it was a bright sunny day so I didn't get soaked changing the tire. If your from the west coast you come to appreciate such moments!
Reply to
P Jenner

I must admit that my mileage was not always good. About 6 months ago my exhaust started to act-up. I took a look at it and it did not look good. There were 3 holes in various exhaust pipes and the tail pipe was not attached to the muffler anymore. I took it to a muffler chain in Toronto (Speedy) and had the entire exhaust system, including the cat. converter and muffler, replaced. It cost me $480 CDN including taxes (15% in Ontario Ouchhh!!!) After that it sounded sweet again. At the same time I cleaned the K and N air filter and re-oiled it. The filter was in the truck when I bought it last year and was very dirty. I also added a fuel injector cleaner (STP)to a tank of fuel. Since then my mileage while not great is vastly improved. I use to get

370-430KM per tank. I now get 450-520KM. My truck too has the bigger 31-10.5-15 tires. I have also slowed down a bit. I have written the big 4 gas station chains in Ontario (Esso, Petro Canada, Shell and Sunoco), but none would supply me with the Sulfur content of their fuels. I got the info on Sunoco from a relative of mine who works for them. I am going to contact the government agency in Canada that over sees the fuel industry to see if they test for sulfur levels. I will post what I find.
Reply to
Silentsam