new taco?

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a used Tacoma 05 - 06. Is 91 octane gas required or recommended, at a dealer today one salesman said you could use

  1. What kind of mpg are you getting ( I'm looking for double cab 4x2).

thanks, Tom

Reply to
tombstne

What kind of mileage would you consider to be good?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

tombstne,

In order to answer the question that JoeSpareBedroom failed to answer (I suspect a hybrid vehicle rant in future posts) -

91 octane is recommended but the engine management computer can compensate for lower octane. You can fill your tank with the cheaper gas without damage, just as the salesman said.

That said, this does result in slightly poorer gas mileage, in the real world generally between one and three MPG, as well as less power. Dependng on the price difference between 87 and 91 octane gas in your area, you may end up spending less total dollars on fuel by paying more at the pump for the 91 octane.

Real world mileage? I've heard anything between 18 and 23 MPG, depending on driving style. My own Tacoma is a 1995 so I can't give you firsthand advice there.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Actually, no. I own a 2002 Taco. You shouldn't second guess people. It's stupid. Everybody hates it, with no exceptions anytime, anywhere. Period.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are correct, sir. Please accept my apology.

Reply to
Mike Harris

i have an 07 double cab prerunner v6.. the manual says 87 and i've been running 87... at 70mph on the highway you can expect 20mpg..probally better under 65.. around town i'm getting 18.. only had mine 3 weeks so it not broke in either... maybe try the toyotanation web site for more info.. there are lots of TACO owners there..

troy

Reply to
Troy

I get enough extra MPG with 93 to make it worth the extra cost. I have data from every tank, except one, in Quicken, as I write the distance since last fill on my credit card slip. I always pay at the pump, and I always fill, so it's easy for me to keep track. Average cost per mile is around $.01 less with premium.

My '05 4x4 V6 Access Cab w/ 6 speed manual has had a low tank of 15.5 MPG, when it was new and towing a trailer, to a high of 20 with extended

55 MPH driving. With lots of short trips, I expect 15-16, doing 75 MPH hwy, I can expect 17.5-18, and 55 MPH gets me ~20. Most tanks include at least some time with a kayak or lumber on top, or a box trailer behind.

You didn't say what engine, transmission, cab, or if 4x4, all make a difference in mileage.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My daughter had an '02 PreRunner that was happy to get 87.

I can't think of any reason why one would consider 91, or even 89 octane.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really! That's news to me.

but the engine management computer can compensate

If 91 is indeed the recommended fuel, then it is certainly true that the cost per mile can be lower with high octane gas -- the high octane can be more efficient, making the cost per mile lower even though any given stop at the pump might cost more.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You, on the other hand should make a point of not asking rediculous questions like, "What kind of mileage would you consider to be good?" in response to the question, "what kind of mpg are you getting?"

Your first reply to the OP was of ABSOLUTELY no value to anybody. It offered nothing that could help. I can't imagine why you would expend the effort to hit the keys.

I can't understand why I expend the effort to point out your absurdity ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There's a reason for EVERY question I ask.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Okay, I'll bite. Why in Hell would you ask somebody what they think is good in response to them asking what you get?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yep - check your owners manual.

Just to clarify, the computer will retard the ignition timing on the lower octane, resulting in less power and slightly poorer mileage. The computer is 'de-tuning' the engine to prevent knock. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of higher octane fuel, or that higher octane somehow means a higher energy content. Just the opposite, in fact, if an oxygenator such as MTBE or ethanol is added to boost octane rating.

And of course if your engine was not designed and tuned to run on higher octane gas, there is no benefit at all in using a higher octane fuel.

Reply to
Mike Harris

I agree completely with everything you said, I just was not aware that the Tacoma trucks needed 91 octane. My daughter's '02 was fed 87, and I suppose I assumed that was the proper fuel. I drive a BMW, and it only demands 89.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My son hs a '06 Prerunner double cab 4.0 auto . he claims 18-20 if you drive sensibly. He uses 91 octane mileage drops 1 to 2 mpg on 87. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, of course. I clarified because there's a lot of folks out there - maybe reading this - who are fairly clueless about octane ratings. They believe that since higher performance engines require higher octane, and that higher octane fuel is more expensive, that the pricer fuel is "better" and will make their ordinary engine somehow "run better" (faster, etc.).

I recall a fellow on my Tacoma list who thought that going down to the airport to feed his late 90s Tacoma aviation fuel - 100 low-lead - was going to make the thing run like Nascar. Hey, the stuff is six bucks a gallon, it must be good, right?

Of course the lead would have fouled his plugs and clogged his catalytic converter, not to mention the fact it's illegal (highway taxes aren't assessed) so he'd be hard pressed to find an FBO willing to "fill 'er up" anyway.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Because you have a 4.0L V6, and have read the manual and logged the mileage readings with lots of tanks of either octane?

Naw... Usenet folklore is better!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Actually I do and get 18 with my Tundra with the 4.0 as long as I am not towing a trailer or driving over 70..... then it drops to 15

Reply to
Noon-Air