NO AIR TO MUCH FUEL?

My 89 pickup starts up ok but wont idle. I need to keep the rpm's up to keep it running. After about 10 min. of driving then only for a split second the engine acts like all the air is completly cut off. After that it runs and idles perfectly. Any ideas for a cure are welcome.

Reply to
mtitus

Depending on engine, check the MAF or MAP sensor first. (toyota used them both back then depending on engine)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The change after 10 minutes of warmup may be your O2 sensor finally warming up and sending a correction signal to the ECM (correcting for the MAF/MAP sensor). Newer models use heated O2 sensors for faster response. Older ones just waited for the sensor to heat up from the hot exhaust gases.

Reply to
crashq