Oil Pressure on 97 T100 seems LOW

I just bought a 97 Toyota T-100 out here in wet Seattle. Think I got a good deal... I have 3 days to determine if it isn't... local dealership here in the area. I ran the truck over to the guy who has worked on my cars... Toyota's, honda's and all... He was wondering what was up with the oil pressure looking like it was kind of LOW... on idle it was almost non-existent and flat... When you bring it up the RPMS it starts climbing???? Any ideas...

This Truck has 115,000 miles on it 97 T100 SR5... I did read that it is a known issue... did some checking on the internet... anybody out there with a quick answer...

My body is going to check it tomorrow... maybe it's just the gauge... any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks Dan snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Dan

Have them hook up a known good mechanical pressure gauge to the main oil gallery and see what is going on. It might be the factory sender or gauge is way off.

Or they might be running 5W30 oil in an older engine that really should have something slightly thicker in it like a 10W40.

It may be cause for concern whether the lower end has excessive wear that the mileage doesn't show - like they might have rolled a bunch of miles off that 115,000 indicated... And if the truck has ever been in the hands of a used car lot or an auction broker the odds are even that it's been 'clocked' to improve the resale price.

(Common opinion being "Rolling back the mileage is only illegal if they catch you /and/ they can prove it...")

But as long as it can hold a minimum of 10 PSI at low idle it should be okay.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to