Overheated 22R-E - What could be wrong???

I just bought my first Toyota pickup last weekend. It's an '85 XCab SR5 with the 22R-E engine . The truck looks to be in excellent condition except that it doesn't run. The previous owner told me that it had overheated last summer and seized up. He had taken off the valve cover and power steering pump and pulled the spark plugs and that is the condition that I received it in. He sold me the truck for $500 because he said that it is going to need an overhaul or a new engine. Although he said that it is seized up, when I got it home I tried the starter and it does turn the crankshaft over without any grinding or scraping noises. Since it does turn over with the starter motor I don't think that it is going to need a new crankshaft, rod bearings or main bearings to get it running. I checked the oil and although it registers a little higher than the full mark, it doesn't appear to be contaminated with water. I didn't see any milky/cloudy residue on the dipstick. My first question to the group, is "What damage should I look for after it's having been overheated enough to make it quit running?" This is just my first question. I suppose that there will be many more in the coming months. (Years maybe???) TIA. Jerry

Reply to
Jack Mehauph

My advice would be: bath the head in oil, throw some oil into the cylinders, crank it a bit, put it back together, remove the t-stat, start it up, and then find out what's wrong.

There's way too many things that could cause it to "overheat" - t-stat, water pump, head gasket, clogged cooling passages, clogged radiator, etc.

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Head gasket, maybe need to have the head and/or block surfaced.

My stepdaughter seized her '90 Geo Storm THREE TIMES trying to get it home with a stuck thermostat. It smoked a little more, but still ran fine for another 50k before she bought our Echo (yesterday).

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer