Power Steering Pump Blues, Newbie Style

Hi folks. I'm hoping someone can tell me their solution to my problem.

I had my '94 4Runner (V6) in for the relay rod recall and the service writer said they could fix a leak in my steering pump for $382.12 + tax (for rebuilding the pump). Instead I invested $40.00 and bought a rebuild kit to install today. I drained the reservoir and moved a hose out of the way but then ran into the problem.

How the heck do you break loose the nut? The pulley is solid and I've tried wedging a shop rag between the belt and pulley but it just won't break loose. I'm even wondering if I'm going in the right direction (cc for a right hand thread?).

Has anyone had this problem? And maybe a solution?

Thanks for ANY ideas anyone may have.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Dennis, The pulley's turning direction when operating, either CW or CCW, should drive the pump shaft, thereby tightening it it. To remove you would turn the pulley in the opposite direction. Sometimes this type of connection will get so tight it takes a shock to release it, like getting all the tension out in the direction you need to go and hitting the end wrench with a hammer. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thanks David. I was giving some thought to putting on more torque but was very hesitant about doing something I'd be sorry for. Been there before. :(

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger