Question for the experts.... Check Engine Light and more...

statement. They are banking on you buying

I've not spent the first dollar 'in the shop', I do my own labor... but when you need an opinion, what better place to ask than your local neighborhood usenet group....?? haha!!!

Yep, exactly why I'd rather ask around before delving into something...

Have a nice day!!

RedForeman

Reply to
RedForeman

Actron makes several scanners where the price range determines the feature set. Before you buy anything, check on eBay. You'll get loads of useful information there, and you might find that they have better prices. My experience was that eBay gave me information about the various feature sets, but the pricing more or less matched what I could get at the parts house down on the corner.

So, I offer advice in good faith, then you insult me before asking if you can borrow my tools?

If you have not asked about the tool loaner program at your local parts store, then you don't know if they will let you use the scanner they have.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

| > >When you know the code, you have the power to fix the problem. They are | > >banking on you buying the repair parts from them. No, that's an incomplete statement. They are banking on you buying | > the repair parts from them, *AND* they're not /at all/ concerned | > whether you test to see if that part is really bad, or the real | > problem. | | I've not spent the first dollar 'in the shop', I do my own labor... but | when you need an opinion, what better place to ask than your local | neighborhood usenet group....?? haha!!! | | > Keep throwing parts at the car long enough and eventually you'll | > find the right one and fix the problem - but you've also enriched the | > parts store's monthly gross sales volume considerably. | >

| > -->-- | | Yep, exactly why I'd rather ask around before delving into something... | | Have a nice day!! | | RedForeman | |

Was the information I posted on how to test the speed sensor of no use? Also, Everyone is suggesting the OBD reader is the answer to all problems when it is not always so. It will point to the area of the problem, but not necessarily the right component.

Reply to
Jarhead

Ahh, but you made an assumption and tossed me into the wrong category, my good man! ;-) With the repair manual, I'll grab my tools and run down the fault tree to see what the problem really is, not just start shotgunning.

It was meant as a warning to those who think "pulling the codes" is the end-all move that leads to instant answers - it isn't. All the code does is start you off in the right direction.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Sorry. I was wrong to place you into that category. The original point to my reply, however, was to make obvious the point that your particular auto parts store must be a "bad egg in the bunch". From my experience and the comments of others in this group, it's obvious that most auto parts stores are willing to actually help the customer in hopes that they will continue to use them for all automotive needs.

Dante

Reply to
Dante

It was, specifically if I thought the speed sensor was bad, but after talking to a MST guy I ran into, he said that more than likely it's an electrical issue, because the tach is also not working... if the tach was working, but speedo/odo wasn't, more likely the speed sensor was bad. If the tach isn't working also, more likely a fautly relay (not a fuse) or a rubbed wire. I told him that after it sits and gets REAL cold (here it's down to 15F @ night) it will work, but the CE light stays on... his advice was to hook up to a machine @ the dealer which is 20m away...

I had your instructions printed off and was going to NAPA to get another multimeter (my wires were cut) and ran into a guy....

... but still can't thank you enough to offer the advice...

RedForeman

Reply to
RedForeman

No insults thrown, just frustration as what seems like an easy fix, turns into a huge mess...

RedForeman =A9=AE fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!! =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

2003 TRX450ES 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale) '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted.... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D =A4=B0`=B0=A4=F8,=B8=B8=B8,=F8=A4=B0`=B0=A4=F8,=B8=B8=B8,=F8=A4=B0`=B0=A4= =F8,=B8=B8,=F8=A4=B0`=B0=A4=F8,=B8=B8=B8,=F8=A4=B0`=B0=A4=F8,=B8=B8,=F8=A4= =B0`=B0=A4=F8

=B4=AF`=B7. ,.=B7=B4=AF`=B7.. >

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com for any questions you may have....

RedForeman

No insults thrown, just frustration as what seems like an easy fix, turns into a huge mess...

Sorry about your troubles, but have you managed to pull codes yet so we can move forward? I do not think you can resolve this issue without pulling codes.

Here's a resource for the OBD II spec ...

Jeff Strickland

I'm going to try to do this over the weekend, a friend has a garage but it's 45 miles away...

... but I'm inclined to think you're right, and honestly, this is the first bit of trouble this taco has given me, and the first time I've not been able to 'fix' it under the shade tree...

Heres a weird part... after it sits at night, it works first thing in the morning, if you turn the ignition switch off immediately after starting, it stops... I'm leaning toward electrical now whereas before, I was thinking a sensor....

I love yotas... best damned vehicle on earth IMO!!

Thanks, and I'll get back to the group with codes, hopefully on Monday...

RedForeman

Reply to
RedForeman

Pulling codes is certainly a shade-tree operation, it can be done in the parking lot of the parts store in about 3 minutes -- that's connecting the scan tool, pulling codes, writing them down, resetting them, disconnecting the scan tool and putting it back in the box.

I agree that what you used to do by the seat of your pants now requires specialized equipment, but the equipment costs less than $100 for an intermediate level feature set, and can be used on all vehicles built since

1996, including some Toyotas built since 1995.

Good luck with this, and let us know what code you get. And, use the link I posted to get an understanding of what the OBD II system tells you. It really is pretty simple once you see what's going on. Problems tend to be grouped together, so multiple codes in the same family are usually caused by a single component that has gone awry. I think this is your situation, you have a few issues that are all the same problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland