automatic transmission

I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A 1990 TOYOTA TERCEL FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AUTOMATIC, THE GIRL THAT IS SELLING IT SAID THAT IT DROVE JUST FINE UNTIL SHE LET A GUY TEST DRIVE IT AND THEN HE SAID IT WASN'T GOING INTO THIRD GEAR..SO SHE DROVE IT BUT DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE SHIFTING SEQUENCE..I DROVE IT AND ALSO COULDN'T FEEL ANY CHANGE LIKE IT WASN'T GOING INTO THIRD GEAR...BUT LET'S SAY IT'S NOT CATCHING THIRD GEAR, WOULD THIS BE A MAJOR PROBLEM OR MAYBE SOMETHING SIMPLE, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS WOULD BE A VERY RARE PROBLEM IN THIS TYPE OF CAR..THANX IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE.

Reply to
chasmeup

WELL IM NOT SURE BUT IF YOU DONT STOP SHOUTING YOULL NEVER GET AN ANSWER!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Try manually shifting through the gears and see if it "catches" 3rd.

BTW, how many miles does the car have on it? Is the trans fluid in good condition?

In my recent experience with pricing the cost of fixing an 85 3spd OD trans for my pickup I found it might cost anywhere from $600 to $1800 to "fix", so if anything is actually wrong with the Tercel's tranny you're probably in the same cost range.

... (Shout all you like...There's a lot of noise in this group!)

Reply to
noneyabusiness

Yeah, I think I might actually agree with you on this one! ;)

As far as the tranny, did anyone actually CHECK the fluid level? It may have just leaked out (or the guy took it '4 wheelin' and hit a rock hard or something) And generally, a Toyota AT will default to 3rd gear in case of a problem; it will start out in 3rd and stay there. Can it be shifted manually (as noneya suggested)?

As an aside, lookf for one with a 6-speed (5 speed with an EL that can be accessed in 4WD) A LOT more fun!

Reply to
hachiroku