Sleeping in a Tacoma '03 shortbed?

huh?

What brand and model mattress did you try?

Reply to
me

No I built a cover for the bed of the truck out of 1/2" plywood and two by fours. It made a large flat surface over the bed of the truck. I raised it up got underneath and dropped it back down. It was snug and dry and kept out the water and the cold. I'm not extra large so there's enough room under there for me. A thick air mattress wouldn't leave much room underneath.

When I camp at state & federal parks and places like that I put the Coleman stove and stuff on top and use it like a big table.

I'm to cheap to spend $700.00 for a fiberglass camper shell or bed cover. This cost about $100.00 and looked good enough. It was painted to match the color of my truck. People who saw it liked it.

People weren't able to see what was in the back of the truck so they couldn't reach right in and take something.

Reply to
Monkey Wrench

Understand abt being cheap. So am I.

However....when you were under this cover there would have only been what...maybe two foot of headroom?

Reply to
me

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:50:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

Sir F. A. Rien

Very interesting!

Did you weld the aluminum frame together yourself?

I have no skills in making things. Can you buy such a frame for a pickup truck?

Reply to
me

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:49:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

No I don't have tools for welding anymore - retired.

This was bolted with corner plates and tapped holes in the aluminum.

I doubt it, though if you have a nearby custom shop, they could make one.

The 'extension' slides ove three inserts in the main frame to 'lock it' into position. Since the frame is 1", I used 3/4" 'pins. I did drill a locking hole for a cotter pin or clip, but found it wasn't necessary. The weight kept it 'attached' for normal use.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

So I take it you like to camp in VERY off road places with no traditional "infrastructure" such as water, etc?

Pure out and out boonies camping?

Reply to
me

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:45:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

Yeah ... Like the far canyons off the West Side 'Road' in Death Valley, high up in the mountains north of Cerro Gordo, Lost Burro Mine & areas above The Racetrack ...

Most time I don't see anyone but my partner in his Tacoma.

I'll see if it can add a couple shots of the 'roads'

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Very very cool!!

I suppose your truck is 4WD

What's longest length of time you camped out like that?

Reply to
me

Have you looked at the territory and canyons East of the Salton sea - Orocopias, Chocolates, Panamints? I spent a lot of pleasant hours crawling that (in a 4WD truck, natch) when I lived in California.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:56:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

TRD with a slight extra clearance.

An October run was about 10 days, though there were two 'breaks' for re-supply and fuel.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:15:10 GMT, "Mike Harris" found these unused words floating about:

Not really (except for the Panamints (western DV.), as my interest is the T&T RR, DV and the Borax (older) mining operations.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:45:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

myplace.ttrr.org/tac_views.html

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Very cool!

Well one thing you can say is that when you camp out you TRULY are alone, correct?

Or do you always have another person/vehicle with you?

Reply to
me

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:18:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net found these unused words floating about:

If I'm going where I don't have relatively easy (1/2 day) hiking to a traveled road, then we go in pairs. Far too easy to have a problem and be miles from any help. Cell phones, even CB is unreliable.

Many times too, I'm being shown an area, or I'm showing another.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Very cool stuff

Thanks for sharing!!