upgrading my 110

I'm 80% sure I'm going to keep my 1984 110 csw, I have an opertunity to spend some money on it.

I'll take a look at the chassis and if it's solid then I think internal waxoyl and something like a tough paint on the outside?

Bulkhead needs patching by the upper hinges (usual place). once that's done how about spraying a load of waxoyl in the bulkhead cavities? (where are they anyway?).

A different engine would be a good move I think, the 2.5 n/a must be nearing the end of it's life by now (229k miles), I think a recon

200tdi or 300tdi would be the way to go, probably sort out recon gearbox too. Any thoughts on this approach? Any idea what it would cost to have an engine and gearbox fitted?

I'm considering an auto box but the two defenders I've seen with auto boxes had the shifter between the front seats, I don't like that location, does it have to be there?

Soundproofing, high on the list of things to do, plan is thus:

1.underbonnet and bulkhead kit of reflective foam.
2.additional sheet of feflective foam with lead through the middle under the bonnet, down the back of the engine and over the gearbox, as wide as I can keep it fiddling it around pipes and such.
  1. once snorkle and radio antenna are fitted to the respective wings I was going to fill all the engine bay wing cavities with fireproof expanding foam.

4, rubber seal around bonnet edge.

5, some kind of thick rubber and foam soundproofing stuff cut to shape and fitted to the footwells, bulkhead (in cab), seat boxes and floor area.
6, remove the dashboars and fill any cavities within with more fireproof expanding foam.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of that lot?

Suspension, I plan to replace the springs, shocks and all bushes with standard land rover parts. with the addition of an anti-roll bar on the rear.

The aim is to maintain the existing land rover as I rather like the early one-tens and there is some sentimental value in this one. I'd like to spend the money while it's available making it more civilised and ready for another 20 years of motoring.

All thoughts very welcome boys and girls.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Somewhere I have an article from Classic Wreaks (or similar) testing a multitude of rust preventers which concluded that Dinitrol and Supertrol were much more effective than Waxoyl, especially in terms of 'creep' - useful when trying to get the damn stuff into box sections. They were also good at healing when the coating was scratched. When I treated my RR with Dinitrol I was impressed by finding that it is a solution that didn't require shaking/mixing. I just used it straight from the tin, using a schutz (sp?) gun with an extension pipe clipped into the tin. IIRC Waxoyl is a waxy substance suspended in a solvent and has to be shaken and mixed like mad before and during application and is a pain to use in cold weather. The solvent then evaporates leaving you with the impression that you are paying for stuff that isn't contributing much to the main purpose.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

In my experience it is never a good idea to get sentimental or emotionally attached to a manufactured heap of metal and plastic whether new or old. It will not be worth more after you have spent on it.

For the kind of money you will throw at this beast you could buy a much better machine, particularly if you sell that one privately.

Even if you have enough time on your hands to refurbish the old 110, consider that the time could also be spent on a cheaper refurbishment of a better vehicle. I'm not definitely saying you should not spend on the 110, because that is entirely your decision at the end of the day, but I am definitely saying that you should not get emotionally attached to it irrespective of your late fathers contribution. Look at his contribution as a helping hand on the way to better things.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Mark Hi,

May I suggest you also contact

?

Their soundproofing kits are extremely well made (precut with self adhesive side with different compound and either metallic or rubber/lead upper surface, 100% waterproof) and do make a difference on noise levels.

I have bought so many kits from them for fellow members of the LR club of Greece that I am now their distributor and representative for Greece so there is a connection but I do not make money from UK sales so I have nothing to gain from recommending them to you.

You can use my name if you wish when you speak to Steve but this is totally up to you.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. On the other hand I also agree that spending serious money on a 20 years old vehicle may not be the best decision on a logical and/or financial basis.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Wise words there Huw, thanks.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I fitted a Discovery auto box to my 90. I didnt want the changer between the front seats so I made a new gearbox tunnel and fitted it there. You can still use the middle seat although leg room is tighter than before. See pics at:

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I've sent an email to steve at noisekiller, see what he comes up with.

I am inclined to agree with the sensible comments ref how to use the money.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I don't entirely agree with this assessment, Huw. Certainly you will never increase the value of an old vehicle by the amount you spend on it, even in the case of a genuine historic vehicle. But this is not the financial question you have to consider - what you have to consider is the difference between what you would spend doing up your old car and what you would spend buying a better one - and this may well give a different answer, as if you buy one sufficiently new that you can have a reasonable expectation of not spending a lot of money on it, the outlay could do a lot of upgrading on your present vehicle. And you know where the problems are with your present vehicle. It all depends on how much your upgrade is going to cost - and the more you have to spend, the less you can expect to get as a trade in on a replacement. JD

Reply to
JD

That's doable then. I don't want the front seat space for a seat, I like the cubby box there and radio. Thanks Richard.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

It doesn't seem a very convenient location if you want to use the auto 'box as a clutchless manual - OK if you just put in drive and, well, drive.

How do you find it, Richard?

Reply to
Dougal

I made a cubby box that sits in the middle, has a radio in it too. I mounted a scart socket on the front so it can be unplugged and lifted out if needed. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Its lower and more foward than the changer in our Discovery so it means reaching down to it a bit. Its not a problem (only if you were strapped in with a full harness). We use it off road a lot and therefore change gear manually sometimes - have always found it ok. Richard

Reply to
Richard