Starting woes

My 99 4x4 Tacoma has started a bizarre ritual. It acts as if the battery is dead, then on the 2nd or 3rd try it cranks over like usual. I am guessing starter, but wonder about ignition switch. Any high probability guesses

Reply to
Rick Morris

How old is the battery?? are the cables clean and tight on both ends?? Have you removed the cables and cleaned them and the terminals they attach to??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Battery was replaced in August when the truck ended up dead in a parking lot. Luckily (or not) close to a Firestone Service Center where I get my oil changed. They charged me an outrageous amount to put in a new battery after looking the whole thing over. The cables are tight and still have the red spray on gunk intact. I'll crawl under it tomorrow to see if the starter connections are the same.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Morris

Starter lockout switch out of adjustment or cruxed up?

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

How would I know for sure Mike?

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Rick Morris

Acts dead, as in when you turn the key and the starter tries to kick but instead the headlights, dome light, radio, and everything totally dies - try to hit the horn while turning the key to Start and you get nothing?

That would point to an electrical failure that you'll have to narrow down.

A bad battery (internal open) would be the first thing to check, doesn't matter that it's almost new, they make lemons like any other industry.

Then you check for a bad + terminal to battery or + terminal to starter cable and car harnesses connection, bad battery to body ground strap, bad main body ground connections up under the kickpanel...

If the rest of the car still has power while the key is turned to Start, it may be the infamous "Starter Contacts Click" failure - try it three or four times and get a loud CLICK and no start action, and then it decides to crank over normally.

The cheap fix is to replace the heavy power-switching contacts in the starter solenoid for under $10 in parts, or get a rebuilt solenoid and the auto electric shop can out them in for you.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman