[309 GLD] Solenoid gone?

I have a problem starting my engine. When I turn on the starter motor (3rd stop on ignition) i hear the click from the relay in the glove compartment and if i open the bonnet I also hear a 2nd click coming from the starter area. This 2nd click also sounds like a relay. But the starter does not kick over. Not at all.

If I start the car (bump start) and am driving along then turn the starter on it does eventually turn over the starter motor. Possibly a loose connection somewhere?

Also my battery goes flat if I leave the car for about 8hrs. This is not such a big problem. But i just wonder if that could cause the problem above?

What should I be checking?

Cheers Stu

Reply to
stu

Anthony G Walker

If your battery is going flat in 8 hours, then either the battery is knackered, or there is a (fairly heavy) permanent electrical load on the battery. In either case, it could cause the battery voltage to drop enough to stop the solenoid pulling in properly, and not making the contact for the starter motor.

First step would be to go to a garage and get them to test your battery. If the battery is o.k. then you need to try to locate the permanent load

- I'd put an ammeter between the + teminal of the battery and the + battery wire, then remove each fuse in the fuse box until you see the current drop to near to 0. You should then be able to get an idea of where the drain is.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby