Tacoma shell

Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to get the shell for the Tacoma? Or would it be better getting an after market one?

Reply to
Matt

It all really depends what you what to use it for.

If you haul materials or animals and need protection from rain and wind - you have a natural match. A shell can also provide *some* security for materials while you are parked. The degree of security provided is directly related to the design and materials of the shell. Typical shells provide deterrance against a 5-year-old with a spoon but a

6-year-old with a tire iron will open it up like a can opener.
Reply to
Roger Terwilliger

After having 3 different shells on my trucks, I found that one with flip up side windows is the only way to go. Assuming you want convience. We live near the beach, and go often. What a pleasure being able to keep the umbrella, chairs, etc. in the front of the bed, leaving the rear for every day use, and being able to unload without crawling in and out of the bed. Sliding side windows don't give enough access, for my likes. I would never get another shell without the flip up side windows. Try it, you will like it!

Reply to
Over40pirate

Well I will be using it to transport luggage for vacations, fishing gear, and other stuff for outdoor activities. Crawling in and out of the bed is not a bother to me at all.

So would I be better off with an after market shell for better security?

Reply to
Matt

I don't think any one shell is that much stronger than the other. I'd get the official Toyota Accessory shell if it were me. Guaranteed to fit and color match. Probably would have more resale value than other brands.

I personally don't like shells, I figure if I needed a truck with a shell I would have gotten a SUV instead. My tacoma has the old fashioned open bed with a tool box setup. With extra cab, I have lockable storage for luggage.

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

I've never seen an 'official' Toyota snugtop in person. In the pictures I've seen, there are no crapola T-handles in the rear - looks like it could have a respectable lockup.

So far, the best shells I've found are A.R.E.

Several models have rear door options that look nice in pics.

Reply to
Jim Porter

It sounds like your question is whether the factory shell is a good deal or whether you can do better aftermarket? The 'factory' shell is just a SnugTop Super Sport. How much are charging for it?

My opinion is that the SnugTop shells are a bit overpriced for the given quality. Look around and get a feel for what else is available. You can get a good shell for as little as $900, or spend as much as $2000. You'll have a lot more options available to you by going aftermarket, even if you decide you like the Super Sport.

Reply to
Eli
9-2-04 When you shop for a shell, pay attention to the placing of the rear window hinge. The higher - longer window - will allow higher things to be put in.
Reply to
Ed Herman