tonneau cover

any suggestions (brand, type, etc) for one of those roll-up tonneau covers, for a Tacoma with over-rail bedliner.

thanks, k

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Hi! Just to be up front, I am a little biased - but will try to help. I am president of a retractable truck cover company. The reason I'm posting is because I do have lot of experience with all varieties of truck bed covers and can provide some insight that might be useful.

Vinyl Covers: A great option for those looking for a low cost way to provide an "umbrella" over the truck bed. They do a great job of keeping the rain out and still can be rolled up quickly for larger hauling jobs. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to go the really low end route with the covers that have snaps. By and large, the $200 range vinyl covers are not worth even looking at. The best vinyl cover I've seen in my 10 years in the industry is the Access cover. Runs roughly $400 and is the only vinyl cover I'd ever consider. A word of caution, cold climates are not vinyl friendly - whatever the brand. In climates with intense sun, keep the vinyl treated to avoid failure.

One piece "Lids": Generally very secure, excellent all weather protection. The color matching option can be nice as well. If all you're looking for is a trunk - basically turning your truck into a car - they are a good choice. Beware however, if you bought your truck for the reasons that most people do, you probably want to be able to haul large items when needed. That doesn't mix with one piece lids! Even on a short bed, taking a lid off is a two person job - if you're lucky enough to be somewhere that you can take it off and leave it. Surprise hauling jobs away from your garage can be a problem. IMHO, any one piece lid basically ruins your truck. I always laugh when I see someone driving down the road with their lid propped open over some large object - it happens a lot and is NOT a good idea! You can crack the gelcoat on a fiberglass lid in no time flat trying that.

Retractable Hard Covers: Good security, not quite the rain protection as a vinyl tonneau or one piece lid. Anytime you have a moving/folding type design, you can expect a little water to find its way in. Retractable covers provide a great balance of good looks, security, weather protection and the ability to haul large items anytime and anywhere. They kind of provide the best of all worlds. You get the security of a fiberglass lid, but with the flexibility of a vinyl tonneau. Some things to watch for: many retractable covers have a vinyl surface or are made from plastic. They aren't too durable. Most roll into a canister or box in the front of the bed that can suck up valuable bed space. Some people don't like to lose the bed length. The cover we make is 100% aluminum and can be quick released off the truck if you need your full bed. The cost isn't much more than a good quality vinyl cover - learn more at

I'd be happy to answer any other questions about covers in general - I'll give you my honest/educated opinion!

- Heath

Reply to
Heath

I just bought a Sports Master vinyl cover. Cost $375. Velcro side rail hold. Snap buttons won't snap in winter as cover shrinks. Go with velcro.

Reply to
redvet

Happy Groundhog Day-

Yes! I have a poly dual storage system that's anchored by 2 screws, one on each side of the truck bed. Will the Velcro tonneau cover still work O.K.? And what size do you suggest for a Tacoma 4x2?

Thanks for you concern over this matter.

-Oscar

Reply to
oscar jean

If you'd like to see a peragon cover installed in the real world visit

I suggest you be VERY sure you want a peragon before you order it - because they have a big fat NO REFUNDS policy.

Reply to
Yaowling

I was planning to buy a tonneau cover and Peragon was one of those considered. Not now though thanks to your review. Thanks

Reply to
Rock

Why not get Toyota's tonneau cover? I ask, because I'm a week or two away from getting an 04 Tacoma, w/ their cover, dealer installed. Bad idea??

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®