transmission dropping?

Is it just me or are all tacomas making it feel like the trasmission is loose/dropping after coming to a stop and letting off the brakes?

Seems like it has done it ever since I have had the truck. It is pretty irritating.

Reply to
benzette

Yeah....my 02 sounds & feels odd, but nothing bad has happened after 3 years. It's useful sometimes, though. My 16 yr old son just started learning to drive. I tell him it makes that noise when he doesn't stop smoothly. When I'm driving, he's got the music on, so he never notices. I know this ploy won't last long, but I'm enjoying it for now.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It is likely brake bind and shudder or the slip yoke on tranny binding causing the feeling. When you brake the axle twists pinion toward the ground some from break torque (especail with bigger rubber) and this lengthens the drive shaft some. When you start out again the slip yoke could be binding and poping back in a bit or the rear brake can be binding a little still and when add power it breaks free and shudders a bit. If it is the brakes it is not biggy but if it is the dlip yoke you should get it fixed because it will never get better on its own.

Reply to
SnoMan

The drive shaft is meant to slide between the transfer case and the rear axle. When you brake the front end dives slightly and the drive shaft elongates. The drive shaft stays this way when you are stopped then lets go back to its normal position. That is the dropping you feel. You can try to grease the drive shaft to fix this. There is a grease fitting for this. I kinda thought it felt like somone just tapped me in the rear bumper or my trany just gave out.

Reply to
Chris

This discussion made me nervous, so I called my mechanic, who gave the same (excellent) explanation you did, and added "Every time we change your oil, we attend to that grease fitting, so I think you're OK."

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks for the info. My 2003 truck was doing this from the first time I drove it off the dealer?s lot and when questioning the dealer?s shop supervisor, the only answer that I received was that what was happening was normal for my truck. It sure doesn?t feel normal.

Reply to
Mikang

I've driven cars where the driveshaft spline joint did that little pop and jerk, and you are right, it can be annoying.

You just have to get your subconscious trained to not panic on known and explained noises - but not to ignore new ones that could be a warning of real trouble.

Or buy yourself a grease gun, a creeper, a set of ramps and a set of jackstands. When you notice the joint starting to pop again, crawl underneath your truck and give it a shot of grease. Takes only minutes, and the problem is solved for another few months.

But there's one HUGE problem with this plan of action that you have to consciously avoid - it all starts with little things like doing your own chassis lube work. Then oil changes and air filters, then you start doing your own body repairs and paint touch-ups...

And before you know it, your rollaway tool chest and all the toys in it would make a pro mechanic jealous, and you're shopping around for a two-post lift and a building contractor to raise your garage roof up two feet for more clearance...

"How do I do it? I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. Somebody help me..."

;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman