Oil change with torque wrench

On these air cooled VeeDubs, what is the recommended torque wrench value for the little studs on the sump plate? What about for the oil drain plug? I tried searching this newsgroup but could not find it.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003
5 foot-pounds (0.7mkg) for the little nuts. Do you have a torque wrench that will read that? No? Me neither. I hold the socket wrench over the socket end and use my wrist (rather than my arm) to tighten them. Do not reef on them at all, just get them snug. I've never seen a torque recommendation for the drain plug, but I'm sure there is one somewhere.

Better heads will be on with better answers tomorrow.

Reply to
Meyer

But DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! (Very important)

Reply to
Meyer

as Meyer said, 5 ft/lb on the small cap nuts(tighten in criss-cross pattern) and the drainplug is torqued to 25ft/lbs.... use new copper washers under all the capnuts and drainplug..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The little acorn nuts get 5 ft. lb.s or 60 inch lbs.

The 21mm socket size drain plug get 25 ft. lbs. or 300 inch lbs.

It takes 1 pint of oil to bring it from the lower mark on the dip stick to the higher mark.

If it has no filter but only has the oil strainer, change the oil every 1000 miles or every 3 months, whichever comes first.

This link might help:

Jim347a