turbo charger

I have a modest built-up 22R. Is a turbo a smart move for a low-end power upgrade. I know typically that turbo are mostly high-end performers but was just curious about low RPM tork and fuel economy. PLEAE TALK MY EAR OFF!!!! I am an info hog ;)

Reply to
Palm Springs Hydroponics

A turbo builds boost along with engine RPM. Low RPM = low boost. A supercharger (or blower) is driven off the engine and provides better boost at low RPM.

Reply to
max-income

I'd consult the TRD website, see what they reccommend. They're stuff is designed to honor factory warranties, which means to me more power at the least stress.

Reply to
?reality

The only way to get a cheap turbo upgrade that won't toast your engine is to fabricate it yourself. And even then, it won't be cheap.

prices, of course..

Reply to
Celica Dude

The only way to get a cheap turbo upgrade that won't toast your engine is to fabricate it yourself. And even then, it won't be cheap.

prices, of course..

Reply to
Celica Dude

The best way to turbocharge your motor would be to find a complete 22RTE and swap it in. I hear it takes a lot of money to retrofit a turbo onto a 22R or RE and have it run correctly and durably. Even with the RTE you won't have any low end. The turbo motors actually have less low end than the normally aspirated 22's, due to lower compression and exahaust restriction. I would think you'd want a blower on your motor, or just a well built 22R. B.

Reply to
Brian

restriction.

Having put extensive miles on obtht the Turbo motor and the normally aspirated motor , Brian is absolutely correct. The Turbos is a wheezer at low rpm and "just" satisfactory at higher rpm. Brad

Reply to
Brad Coon

The easiest way to increase low end torque is to increase displacement. Have you considered swapping in a small v8? The other simple method is a gearing change. A diff change will cut your mileage, but if you can find a tranny with a lower first gear you will get the added grunt without killing mileage. A stroker crank kit can help with low end torque. As a general rule, the longer the stroke, the higher the torque. See if there is an RV cam grind available. These are designed to give more low end power without competely sacrificing the top end. They generally give a decent idle also.

Reply to
max-income

car export from germany

Reply to