Toyota 4wd alternative?

It's time to replace my faithful old '94 Toyota 4wd pickup. I want to get a regular cab 4wd Tacoma with no options (to keep the price down, being unemployed for the last couple years) but I have not been able to find one here in the Denver area. There are a few regular cabs with the $1K A/C package but most all the available trucks are bigger cab / bigger bed / option loaded models that are many $K more that I want to spend. And even on the few low end models, every dealer I talked to (well, emailed/phoned) has insisted on $1500+ over the invoice cost.

So to my regret I am considering not buying a Toyota for the first time in 15 years :-(

If it is not heresy to ask here, what is the next best choice (non-toyota, ~16-18K total price) considering that reliability, and good off-road capability, are my main concerns (in that order)?

Reply to
Stuart McGraw

If you like Toyotas so much, why not look for a used Tacoma with low miles?

Reply to
desert_taco

You may want to travel further south or east to get a better deal. Here in Chicago lan area, new Tacomas are sold for $100 over invoice at most. Start calling dealers outside your area to get a feel for what others charge.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

i'm looking into that too, but they are also pretty expensive (availble models are skewed towards the high end) and i wanted to have some other options.

Reply to
Stuart McGraw