Unusual Uneven Tire Wear on 06 Tacoma

Just did the 15,000 mile service on my 06 Tacama and noticed something odd. The front tires are wearing unevenly, but in an unusual way.

The inside edge of each front tire was slightly more worn than the outside edge. Nothing dramatic, but nonetheless noticeable.

This doesn't seem like either under or over inflation, which would be making either the middles or outsides wear more, but not just one side. It seems as though it's a camber problem, which would mean an alignment problem.

I haven't had any accidents and although I go off road a lot I haven't had any major incidents of any kind. If the alignment's off it seems like it must have been off right from the start, and it seems odd that it would be so symmetrically off.

The tires are the stock Goodrich 265/70 Rugged Trail T/A's which I've heard people on this group describe as crap, but that still wouldn't explain the uneven wear.

Anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas?

Desert Guy

Reply to
Desert Guy

It's underinflation, thanks to Toyota's recommended pressures being WAY too low. Pump them up to 32. Also, the crappy tires DO wear faster and even more so with low pressure.

The reason they wear on the inside more than the outside is the normal setup on the front end. If only one of them was doing it, then it would signal a problem.

PUMP those tires up!!

Reply to
Dan G

There is a recall for ball joints on some Tacoma trucks. I'm not sure if your truck is affected, but it sounds like you might be having ball joint troubles.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:17:59 -0700, Dan G spat out the following (in article ):

Toyota recommends 29 front and 32 rear, but I've been running all four tires at 32 psi since day one, based on the advise of a non-dealer Toyota mechanic. Come to think of it, maybe OVERinflation is the problem, but I doubt it, given that it's only on the inside edge of both tires, and the tread in the middle is just fine.

Thanks for your help.

Desert Guy

Reply to
Desert Guy

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:28:16 -0700, Jeff Strickland spat out the following (in article ):

No ball joint recall for my truck, but I see now that there is a sizable recall for improper assembly of the tires onto the wheels, which may have damaged the tire bead. That's a good enough reason to take the truck to the stealership and have them go over it with a microscope. Thanks a lot.

Desert Guy

Reply to
Desert Guy

OVERINFLATION will cause wear in the center section of the tread. Your report is wear tot he edges, this is the result of underinflation and/or an alignment problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:40:23 -0700, Jeff Strickland spat out the following (in article ):

Looks like we are in agreement. Thanks again.

Desert Guy

Reply to
Desert Guy

You likely have too much negative camber in front end and maybe a bit of toe out too. Have front end alignment checkout really good.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

In this case, it's also the result of super cheap tires.

Reply to
Dan G