What is HP of '90 22R-E

I have a '90 4runner with a 22R-E engine. Manuals list the HP at 116 hp and it would not surprise me.

I am seriously thinking of getting a Honda Element but the main concern was the 154HP engine and whether it would be under-powered. But after living with a 116HP 4runner for 16 years it may feel like a speed demon.

Reply to
grinder

Yup its 116. I had a '90 22RE $Rnr with 5 Spd. Ok with one or two people and flat land. My daughter has now in hills of WV - I bet a VW T2 van would pass her.

Reply to
Wolfgang
116 hp may be marginal for a 4wd truck but I find it to be plenty for a 2wd, hills or not. I live in the Oregon mountains. Q

Wolfgang wrote:

If it has the proper axle ratios for the tire sizes in use, 116 HP is more than up to task. It is proper gearing that makes it happen moreso than engine most of the time in off road running. I have a big old full sive J20 truck that is rated at about 160 HP and it has no lack of power off road because it is well geared for it power curve and is quite the tank at times.

SnoMan

Same here. Mine is fine on flat roads. It takes about 4 miles to get up to speed but it will hold it once there. However, when driving through the western Sahara mountains there are times where I could get out and pass it on foot.

Reply to
grinder

I towed a 2000 LB Trailer Loaded with a couple of Wheelers 300 miles through the Green Mountains of VT... and YES the 1994 Yota, 22re that I was towing it with struggled at best.... To get up the final mountain to the camp I was going to I even had to drop it down into 4WD LOW as it just wouldn't crawl up in 1st High... but I must say.. it certainly made it....

Reply to
EasyE