Where is the expansion valve?

1987 Toyota pickup with factory ND air. Can't find where to put the new replacement expansion valve.
Reply to
Den

Its in the evaporater box (in the heater box) and are you sure its bad? I bet you have another problem.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I'll bet you're right.

My 1982 Toyota Cressida was a great car, but it ate A/C systems* like crazy! I put in about 5 compressors and at least an evaporator and expansion valve - plus the mandatory new receiver/drier each time - over the course of

240K miles.

*also front tires!

To be fair about it, I ran the A/C almost constantly - even in Winter.

Anyway, when the compressor goes kablooey, you really should flush and vacuum the entire system when you replace it, being sure to remove the expansion valve so you can clean it separately and thoroughly flush the lines.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Thanks. The compressor came to a grinding halt. I am replacing it along with the drier and expansion valve. Den

Reply to
Den

You need to replace the CONDENSER! The freon is compressed in the compressor and heads to the condenser, then the drier, the expansion valve then the evaporator then back to the compressor.

That condenser gets its small passages clogged with debris at 250psi ,so you cant just flush it out.

: > Its in the evaporater box (in the heater box) and are you sure its bad? : > I bet you have another problem. : : Thanks. The compressor came to a grinding halt. I am replacing it : along with the drier and expansion valve. : Den :

Reply to
Im Right

Had to. With the heater on, the windows would fog. I'm pretty sure that the A/C comes on automatically in my Tundra when running the heater, but I had to turn it on manually in my Cressida.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S