Where is the expansion valve???

I am trying to replace the A/C parts on my 1992 F-150. The old compressor went out and I have got to have A/C! I have to do most of the parts replacement myself as I have quotes anywhere from 1,100.00 to 1,600.00 which I thought was a bit ridiculous I have bought a new manifold hose assembly, a new compressor and a new accumulator/dryer canister. 2 questions, where is the expansion valve and should it be replaced with a variable valve or just the stock red valve. I have just about dis-assembled the whole system and cannot find one! and what can I use to clean the condenser, coil and 1 remaining hose line out with.

Someone told me terpolene was good for running into the lines as it dissolves any "black death" and evaporates quickly without leaving residue. Asked all kinds of folks at the parts stores and a couple of A/C guys, but I can't find any.

Any help is appreciated. And no, I don't plan on filling it with freon myself. I will have a qualified A/C person do that. I just do the easy part! Mike

Reply to
Mikee

(Joe)

But where on the coil?????? 1 end of the coil connects to the accumulator, nothing there and the other end of the coil connects to a hose that apparently is able to swivel before it goes into the evap coil in front. Seems weird that this hose should swivel and it has a clip on it, but it does not come apart.

Condenser coil

Reply to
Mikee

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:29:18 GMT, "Mikee" wrote:

It does not have an expansion valve. The system uses an orifice tube which is installed in the tube where the liquid line attaches to the evaporator tube. You will probably need an extractor tool to remove it. They are available where a.c parts are sold. Since you need a new compressor and are doing the work yourself, it would be a good time to flush the system, replace the hoses, flush the system and, recharge with R134. You may want to change the orifice tube to the 1994 version used with R134. It is also a good idea to install filters on the evaporator return line. I also installed a filter between the liquid line and the exaporator to protect the orifice tube which has a tendency to clog and become restricted over time. If you are near a large city, there are usually several outlets for these parts as is the case around Atlanta. I have learned that most will not solicit your business but, some are friendly to cash customers who can figure out what they need. You are not likely to get the same discount as a commercial repair shop. I have had good luck flushing these systems with denature alcohol which is readily available at hardware and home improvement stores. Once you get all of this done, you will need to rent a vacuum pump and a set of guages to charge the system. All of that said, if you don't already know something about how the system works etc., you should pay the piper. This is the kind of work that can result in huge screwups and injuries for those who have no idea what they are doing.

Reply to
lugnut

The ORIFICE TUBE should be where the liquid line from the condenser attaches to the evaporator. It should be right there in that connection.

Reply to
Steve Barker

it's inside the end of the evap pipe that hooks to that hose

takes a skinny long-nose pliers to pull it out

Reply to
TranSurgeon

the orifice tube is by definition an 'expansion valve'

it's just smaller and more of a pain in the ass to remove

dis-assembled

Reply to
TranSurgeon

You are correct but, he may be like many others from the old school who are looking for a valve with a pitot tube attached to the line somewhere. I generally consider an expansion valve (or any other "valve") to have some controllable regulating feature which an orifice tube does not. The only way it has any control is via the amount of pressure differential at the orifice. I simply had no intention of confusing someone who is obviously in need of help. I don't mean to split hairs with anyone.

Reply to
lugnut

That location Steve mentions, would be the connection that does not come apart. It's an odd connection actually. It swivels and has a clip, but does not come apart at all and it looks like it may have some type of bulge there to hold a screen or other part. Figures, Ford made it so that you have to replace the evap coil as well as the orifice is what it looks like!!!!

Reply to
Mikee

it comes apart

you need the proper tool, but trust me, it does come apart

Reply to
TranSurgeon

It is locked together with a garter spring - called that because it is shaped similar to a ladies garter - I only assume you have a mental image of that. You need a correct size spring lock tool. They are availabe at many auto parts stores. They come in various configs. Any half witted parts guy should be able to show you what he has. You can usually buy them in a set of several sizes. The plastic ones work just fine for occasional use. Again, this is a job you should not do without a good understanding of what you are trying to do.

Reply to
lugnut

For something that doesn't come apart, I've sure as heck had a few hundred of them open.

Reply to
Steve Barker