Why Thundra

i am looking to get into a new 4x4 truck. i am a die hard chevy man, BUT as they are looking so sick, i am thinking of going with a thundra. what i am looking at is a

2004 crew cab 4x4 sr5 model 4.7 liter. aany and all pro's and con's will be great. they guy across the street is a lexus mech. and he says some NOT all may have a head gasket problem, anyone have that problem. also is piston slap a big issue? also what kind of life can i expect to get out of a thundra. i change my oil every 4 months or 3,000 miles which ever comes first. also with the 4x4 switch, is there any problems with that? right now i have a 2000 chevy z71 with manual shift on the floor for the 4x4? thanks
Reply to
Charles H.

NEeeds bigger engine, or should I say more powerful.

Reply to
Bob H

Wait for the '05. It'll have about 40 more HP. Go with synthetic oil and change at 5000. It'll last forever. I've got nearly 75,000 on my '03 already and it's never been in the shop.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Good rebates and dealer discounts on the remaining 2004's.

4.7 is a good engine if that's all the power you need.
Reply to
Alesandra

thanks all for your input, still trying to make up my mind. my current trk is my family car, BUT i have been known to use it as a trk.

Reply to
Charles H.

Tundra...

Nice truck... good room inside, a bit narrower across the hips than the Chevy, but unless you are XXL, it won't matter.

The 4.7L has not had a history of head gaskets, some of the older V6's did in the 4runners and small trucks did.

No... major issues with the tundra are/were exhaust manifolds cracking, and lot's of TSB's for the front and rear brakes, mostly affecting the 00-02 models. Toyota just sent me a warranty extension notice for the O2 sensors pushing the warranty on them out to 90,000 miles.

My '01 access cab had the brakes done 3 times within 30,000 miles, new parts front and back, all covered by TSB's and at no cost to me.

Take care of any new vehicle, and they will last a long time.

This is good practice, esp. with Toyota, regular oil changes are good. Toyota did have a problem with the V6's on FWD models (Camry, Sienna, others) with oil sludging and gelling with folks that did not regularly change the oil.

The earlier 4x4's did have some concerns here, but looks like Toyota has pretty much got this nailed down and fixed right on the later models.

One more thing, when time comes to trade it in, or to sell it, the Tundra has excellent resale value. Just traded in my 4x2 SR5 Access Cab V8, and got $15,200 for it, considering that I only paid $21,800 3 years ago, I can't complain there...

Tim

Reply to
t thome

TUNDRA is an excellent 7/8ths sized truck. No engine problems, not head gaskets nor piston slap. There is very slight piston noise for a few seconds until the aluminum pistons warm, but that is expected and no problem. Brake problems were fixed in earlier years. Transmission is stouter than original. You can't use the 4wd on firm traction surfaces (dry or wet pavement or firm dry soil), but works fine on any loose-traction surface. I have 39,000 miles on my Tundra with zero repairs, just plugs, filters, and gear oil @ 30k, oil & filter @ 5k, and ATF, coolant, & brake fluid @ 2 years.

Expect 250,000-350,000 miles. Changing the oil at 3k is a waste of time, oil, and money. Any top quality oil and filter are good for 5,000 miles (I like Chevron/Havoline, Pennz, & Castrol oils and OEM, Purolator Pure One, WIX, & Baldwin filters). Do change all fluids periodically...ATF regularly, coolant & brake fluid every two years; maybe 30k is a good plan to change differential & transfer case gear oil, and I'd do ATF and power steering fluid at that time also. This sounds like overkill, but it will save money in the long run. All fluids deteriorate with heat, time, and usage. Changing the fluids is cheaper than renewing the steering rack or transmission, etc. before you'd otherwise have to do so. This isn't just a Toyota thing, it will extend the life of any machinery.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

thanks so much. how is your truck in the snow?\not that we get alot BUT i like to get out. thanks again

Reply to
Charles H.

i love my Tacoma, but i would go after a GMC full size (sierra).

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Even though I have the 2003 4 runner with the 4.7, I would hold off on a tundra and probably go with the Ford f-150. The 4.7 liter engine is ok, but not powerful enough to tow anything they say it can tow (7000lbs)... I would wait till Toyota comes out with a bigger truck/engine or go with the F150.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Consumer Reports, July, 2004 edition favors the Chevy Silverado. WTF? :-@

Reply to
Jeremiah

Just curious. Other than the Lightning, the Tundra will blow the doors off of any F150. Why then would you recommend it? The Tundra will tow anything an F150 can, as neither should be towing near capacity without anti-sway bars.

--------------------------------------------- "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this; it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity." - John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Eric Dreher

It does not. The Silverado, although recommended, is third behind the Tundra and the Chevy Avalanche. It even is behind the Nissan Titan (unrecommended) but ahead of the Dodge Ram.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

I towed my boat with both, the Tundra and F-150. F150 feels more solid, has more power. The frame is stronger on the f150 as well, and this is a huge thing for me...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Perception can be everything. Reality is something else.

My boat has been behind my Tundra, and a friend's 150. Each was towed to a lake, San Vicente in San Diego, with a steep entry road.

My Tundra never broke a sweat, while his 150 struggled a bit.

And only the newer 150 has a stronger frame.

--------------------------------------------- "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this; it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity." - John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Eric Dreher

I dunno, my boat (without gear and fuel) is close to 5500 lbs. Over 6000lbs loaded. My 4runner struggles, and I get 6-8 MPG towing with it. The Tundra is close to that too (same engine). The F150 (gas version) was closer to 14 MPG. This can add up when going over 300 miles between lakes, etc. Believe me, if Toyota puts out a bigger engine, or a diesel I am all over that. For now, I am really looking at the F150.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I've never towed anything that heavy. It isn't impossible that the Ford torque characteristics shine when lugging something that heavy.

My Champion bass boat weighs less than half that amount loaded. That's the heaviest my truck has ever towed, but flawlessly and with no complaints.

--------------------------------------------- "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this; it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity." - John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Eric Dreher

just a big thank you for all the advise and input, it is a big help, might be going down this weekend to look at one. one poster said wait til the 05 comes out, it will have more horse power, is that going to be a bigger engine> if so what size. thanks again tho for all that have given me input.

Reply to
Charles H.

it's not all about HP. it's torq and at what rpm's the torq is at. i've seen some cars say "275HP and 200ft*lbs", yeah, at 6500rpm and the curve is so pointy if you printed it on paper it could cut you !!

same goes for truck engines. although i hate the dodge truck line, their pup with cummins diesel is a hauler...

Reply to
Kryptoknight