am i looking for trouble

90YJ looking to put 31inch tires, and a no-slip locker on the rear, will i trash the rear doing this? ive read the rear axel is a weak one? looking for advice before i buy the no-slip, thanks johnp
Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Please take your camera along, so I may add your broken Dana 35c to my site:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "Dirty Ditch Dawg" wrote inmessage news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...> 90YJ

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Wow, that log idea in the video is a great idea.

Reply to
griffin

Where / how are you going to ride it? Need more information ie. motor, gears, usage...

My TJ with the 33's and Dana 35 is a "street princes". Does just fine.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
2.5 fourbanger, weekend off-road, not heavy rockclimbing, mostly backroads/logging roads, grown in trails, steep climbs, shale,loose rock,mud, washouts,

4/11 gears stock, and yes bill ill bring my camera, johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You'll be fine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You'll be fine. My brother has a NoSlip in his AMC20 axle behind a 4 banger, and my other brother has a LockRight in his D35 behind a 4 banger, both run

31s.

You will be fine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

i was thinking of the "no-slip" locker, by powertrax, im just loking for a little more traction,

would i be better going to the front-end? ive read alot of contriversy onit thanks, johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

this is great, Jeff says ill be fine, Bill says ill be sendin him a pic, , looks like a 50/50 crapshoot, justinfun, johnp

whatabout justdoin the front?

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

I'm with Jeff on that one, especially if you avoid hammering the gas.

The YJ Dana 30 front end uses smaller/weaker 260 u joints than the TJ's stronger 297s. 260s are known to start breaking when lockers are added, but as with the Dana 35, it's far from a sure thing with your setup.

Steve

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Steve

With 31's you will be fine.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, it would be interesting to know, what setups all those guys were using, lockers/tiresize/gears, ect,ect, , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

You'll be fine.

You can not apply enough power with a 4 banger to explode the diff, and you can't apply enough leverage with 31" tires to explode the diff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I can't say for sure, but none of those rigs looked to be fitted with 31s, and it is a good bet that none are 4 bangers.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Seriously? some look like 29" but the majority of those are no where near

29".
Reply to
Brett Little

Looks mighty unsafe ...