1303 oil-level i steering box and transmission

Hello NG: I rebuilding my 1303 from 1974. Question: How do i check the oil level in the steering box? What kind of oil should i use to change or fill it up?

Question 2: Should i fill oil in my 4 speed transmission gearbox until it comes out at the checking plug? Or shall the oil-level where some mm /inches lower?. What kind oil should i use? Is the original VW G 0005 gearoil i use for my Golf 5 speed OK?

Have a nice day.... Per

Reply to
PP

NO OIL! This late box has a special grease in it. Normally, the box never needs grease added or replaced.

Do a GOOGLE groups search:

Click on Advanced Search.

Search for: GL5 in this newsgroup.

Hundreds of hits with all sorts of opinions...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for your precise answers... ...PP

Reply to
PP