1776 mpg sudo-poll

hey guys, long time since I've graced the halls of the group, but back from school and back in VW mode. Now I may be able to acquire some 1776 parts and I have a set of kadrons that I could slap on, but just wondering what kinda gas mileage some of you'z guys get with yours. A similar setup with kadrons would be preferable, but hey beggars cant be choosers ;-) And the mileage question is not because of the gas situation, I've actually been thinking about it doing it for a while :-P

Just curious

Pete

----------------------

62 Bug w/ Sunroof 62 Bug (parts car) 69 Bus (camper) 69 Bus (camper)

----------------------

Reply to
Pete

Good luck with that. I ran a 1776 with Kadrons and averaged 22 miles to the imperial gallon (17.5 US). Switched to Dells and it shot up to 32 mpg (26mpg US) combined highway/city. Spent a lot of time tinkering (hell, call it blueprinting) with those Kads - just couldn't get better. They sure didn't like that Bugpack 4061 cam. The reversion made them run dirty. Dells were sweeeet and crisp.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

As luck would have it, I just got my first mpg reading on the engine I just finished.

This is a 7.3:1 1776 with Kadrons and an E-100 cam. I am experimenting with a Kad throttle-body from John C with the vac advance port, but am still running an 009 (with Compufire) at present.

First tank MPG: 26.5

Over the 199 miles, I probably have 10 cold-starts. My commute is 22 miles of 2-lane blacktop between 6000' and 7500'.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

This is US gallons, right? IMO that's pretty good for a new engine!

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

Think your self lucky.

1776cc engle 110 , full flow, Dellorto 40's m std heads (hemi-cut) in a 1964 sunroof bug.... i'm probably doing 15mpg at the moment due to wrong idle jets. Sounds good though

John

Reply to
John Skeldon

Yes, US gallons.

And I mispoke, this is not the first tank for the engine. It's the first tank with the rings seated and the state of tune where I want it. For the first

500 miles I had the valve lash set pretty loose and was fighting with a throttle shaft issue with one of the carbs. I didn't both to measure the MPG then.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton