Throwout bearing difference?

Oi guys, my dad is looking into dropping his engine and getting a new throwout bearing because its starting to go. So here's a question: last year when I was working on the clutch for my bug, I had gotten a bearing from Whitney to use instead of the one that came with my clutch, cause it looked rather cheap, so 23 bucks later I put the Whitney one in and it exploded in a tornado of bearings and grease inside my bell housing after only a few hours of use. So dropped engine and from the pieces still attached it seemed to be in right (round flat spinning surface towards clutch if I remember right), so I put the original cheap looking one in and it work wonderfully and is still going. Now I had heard depending on what style clutch (by style I just mean whether it has a center ring or not, where the bearing presses against) you need the appropriate throwout bearing for it, so since dad has the same style clutch would be nice to order him one, minus the explosion ! :-P

thnx guys Pete

62 Bug w/ sunroof (nearing completion) 69 Bus Camper 69 Bus Camper (possibly restorable) ...... among others :-P

Xyclone

Did you have a question? I don't think I would trust parts from J C Whitney. Probably made in china. One word of advice: while you're in there replace the throwout *arm* with a heavy-duty model. It's a real pain to have to go back in again to replace the arm, & they tend to break. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:41:18 -0400, "ThaDriver" ran around screaming and yelling:

i'm with Paul somewhat....i just weld the arms...from the factory they have two spot welds per "arm"....i weld solid....for the original question(?), yes there are two different release bearings...the earlier style that was freefloating and uses the center ring on the pressure plate and the 71(?) up that uses a guide tube and no center ring on the pressure plate...check here:

release bearing pictured is the later style....JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hi Joey, The better throwout arms have the shaft running *through* them, & are welded all the way around. Much stronger, & are not expensive. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:53:08 -0400, "ThaDriver" ran around screaming and yelling:

i know...but really unnecessary....i have not broken one i have welded even with a 2300 pound kenedy... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" wrote

the release bearing pictured is the later style....> JT

For reference, Speedy Jim's page on 6v to 12v conversions shows the early vs. late TO bearings and pressure plates:

the blue bullet points at the bottom of the page to see the PPs. hth

Reply to
Scott H