1998 VW Passat Oil Emergency

Hey All...

I have been searching the site for a little while and not really found what I am looking for. Earlier today, I was driving on the highway when the oil light flashed and sounded the alarm and the car lost power. I pulled over within seconds and turned off the motor. Yes, the car is overdue for an oil change, so mea culpa. I checked the dipstick to find the oil level WAY below the fill line. I phoned a friend and he arrived shortly thereafter with a couple quarts. The car never overheated.

We added 2.5 quarts and let the car sit for a few minutes. I tried starting, but nothing happened. Belts turned, and it made the sound like it wanted to start. I had to call for a tow and the driver said that the engine sounds like it has no compression. He said that it might be a blown timing belt, but I replaced it last year and I am told that the damage would be catastrophic if that happened. I think that I may have added too much oil. Any thoughts? I would like to head into the repair shop tomorrow armed with a least a working theory that is backed up by people who really know.

It is a 1998 VW 1.8T with 109k mostly highway miles. Other than this last lapse (I work three jobs and travel a lot) I have babied her and been really regular with maintenance.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks,

FrankP

Reply to
FrankP

.....My '77 bug has never lost any oil or coolant and has never let me down except for the one time when it was going too fast in Indiana while I was driving it home to NY from Colorado. Cost me about $100 I think for the speeding fine.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You even admit searching this newsgroup??

You should have figured out that this group is for AIRCOOLED volkswagens. Yours is WATERCOOLED.

Go to the watercooled group PLEASE.

Jan

Reply to
Kidd