BFY Obsolete

Has anyone noticed that the BFY Obsolete website isn't secure (encrypted) when you place an online order? More specifically, the page that you enter your credit card info on to is not secure. I started to place an order a few days ago and I was getting ready to hit the "submit order" button (last step in the order process) and I noticed that the webpage wasn't secure. I wasn't about to take a chance in sending my credit card info without knowing whether the connection was going to go secure BEFORE my card data was transfered. I quit the process and sent BFY a note telling them what I had run in to. I was sorta expecting them to tell me that the connection would go secure during this last step. The person who responded clearly did not understand the situation and asked me why I thought that their website wasn't secure. I explained that that the connection should have already been secure by the time I got to the page where I entered my credit card info. No response. In fact, those of you who do a lot of on-line ordering like I do probably know that most websites are secure well before that point, usually before you're asked for your name and address. It doesn't matter how secure their website is if the connection isn't secure at the correct point. I'll bet I've ordered on-line from probably fifty different places and I've NEVER entered my credit card info on a page that wasn't ALREADY secure. Can anyone verify that their connection goes up secure/encrypted when you hit the "submit order" button?

>>Mike
Reply to
Mike64Bug

I noticed that the

connection was going to go secure BEFORE my

what I had run in to. I was sorta

step. The person who responded clearly

wasn't secure.

You probably need to make the distinction between a secure connection (which is what you wanted and were missing) and a secure web site (which is also a good thing, but is a different question.)

I think that a secure web site generally means a site that can't be hacked into.

The secure connection means that your credit card info can't be intercepted on the way to the site. This is the part you can see, or not, from your end.

A secure site assures you that hackers can't dig into the site later on and find your credit card info. This part we just end up trusting.

-

Jim Adney

secure website.

I did. I never said anything about the website being secure. That's not the issue. I said that the connection was not secure and that's the same point that I was trying to get across to BFY. When you "right click" on the webpage that you're currently looking at and then click on "properties" it will tell you the status of the connection. In the case of BFY Obsolete, the page where I was entering my credit card data, the connection was not secure at that point, and should have been. There was nothing to indicate that the connection would go secure before my credit card data was transfered. I would like to think that the connection goes secure when I click on the "submit order" button but since there was no guarantee I wasn't going to do it.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Okay, my bad. I was TRYING to refer to the website's connection when you place an order. I probably didn't specify "connection" well enough. Anyway, the website's connection isn't/wasn't secure where one would expect it to be.

Reply to
Mike64Bug