4 pole flasher to three pole? Help Speedy Jim!

I seem to have lost the flasher to my '70 and now the turn signals AND the brake lights don't work. Anyone know how to perform this conversion so I don't have to pay 40 bucksters to fix it?

Reply to
TinMan

'70 WHAT?? Bus? Loss of the flasher should not affect the brake lights; that's controlled by the monster turn signal switch.

Or........bad fuse?

More info.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ah, sorry, my mistake. '70 bug. I checked the fuses, they SEEM okay, I'll check again. The reason I suspect the flasher is that before it went out (or this problem started, that is) it would flash quickly and also click when I turned on the ignition. Is there a way to convert the flasher? Where can I find the info on it?

If the flasher has nothing to do with the brake lights, should I look at the brake light switch? How do I check that? The tail lights DO work. Ah, the joys of 35 year old cars, but at least Big Brother doesn't know where I am...

TIA!

Reply to
TinMan

'70 Bug, turn signal AND flasher have nothing to do with brake lights. Check fuse first. Even if it looks good, replace AND clean the holder.

There are *two* stop light switches on the M/C. Both could be bad or the connectors corroded. The wiring is on my web site.

You can use a 3-term flasher in place of the 4-term. Only diff is the skinny Blu wire from the signal lamp goes to the 49a terminal along with the Blk/Grn/Wh. I think that's on my site also.

Check the turn signals again. They will flash rapidly if one bulb is burned out OR maybe if a fuse has poor contact.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim