oil srtrainer stud re-tap question

A while back I posted about one of my studs being stripped on my oil strainer. I really do not want to have the engine pulled to have it tapped, since the engine is otherwise fine. I'll have to take it to a local shop for that, since I lack the space to pull, etc. Would doing this with the engine in be advisable? Would simply changing the oil a couple of times after the work has been done seem a reasonable way to flush any metal filings out of the engine that may have gotten in there from the work? Is there a way to, once the strainer is removed to prevent any loose metal from flying up into the innards? Just looking for some alternatives. thanks - DB

Reply to
DB

What you will need to find is a stepped stud. That is a stud that is larger on the end that will thread into the case and the stock diameter on the oil strainer end. I don't see why you would have to pull your engine to do this repair. Just drill the stripped hole the size needed for tapping. Gravity should take care of most of the metal shavings. When you use the tap, the metal shavings should be deposited in the flutes of the tap because there will be oil on the tap that will attract the shavings. If there is any shavings on the inside of the engine, use a pipe cleaner to clean the blind side. Naturally, you will have drained your oil and taken the strainer out before you do this job. - Bob

Reply to
Robert

Robert,

That's a heck of a lot clearer explanation than I found elsewhere! Greatly aprreciated - DB

Reply to
DB