4x4 bus ?'s please help

Ok, I just saw the weirdest thing today. I was in Marin county CA and while I was getting off the highway I was passed by a VW camper bus that was higher then most and was clearly marked 4x4!!!

Ok, I'll admit that I'm new to this board but I've searched a bunch and I can't find anything refering to a production van that was built with 4 wheel drive. Can anyone help. If not, please point me to a production model, or even after market kit.

Reply to
Jeff

Schwimmwagen chassis parts! See VW Trends November 2001, page 54

travis should have read that before jumping ship.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

i think there were prototype 4x4 buses... maybe a couple production ones... I have a 4x4 Vanagon that is definitley a factory 4x4. If you do a search for "syncro" you might have better success in finding what you are looking for!

Reply to
VWGirl

Vanagon Syncro. Factory made 4x4 and fairly common at least in Europe. First vanagon models were even aircooled (78, 79 at least) the 4x4 syncro was a product of the 80's.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh, found a pic of one:

David Gravereaux

And another:

Is it a 4x4 ambulance?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
VWGirl

Here's some 4x4 and 2x4 "baja buses".....have to say the doublecabs look pretty cool.....:)

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

"Jeff" wrote

Lots of info, pictures and links at this site:

Scott H

I drove my syncro today it has a

R 1 3 |--|--| L 2 4

shift pattern, does this mean it is a 4 spd or a 5 spd???

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

My Subaru turbowagon is 12-speed! :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

eh? You'd call my VW a ford??!?!?!?!!? how dare you!

Reply to
VWGirl

Is it a semi truck???

That's a lot of gears!

Reply to
VWGirl

Ha!!! I have 16 gears with my lock up automatic tranny and this. :-D It's a

66' Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40 with a Vortec V-8 & rusted out body shell.

Nor-Cal VW's

No it's a station wagon :D

reverse + 5 forward gears, plus selectable reduction gear...

That makes 12 genuinely different gear ratios :)

Add to that the 4wd/redux shifter... yes there's two shifters too :D My other subie doesn't have reduction, just selectable 4wd. The selector is a red push-button on top of the shifter knob. Which operates a dual relay. Which controls a dual magnetic solenoid valve. Which in turn directs vacuum signal (two) to a vacuum diaphgram. Which in turn moves the arm that's connected to teh selector fork inside the tranny where the fork makes two gears mesh vith the help of a synchro ring, in order to connect front axle with teh rest of the drivetrain. in 2wd it's rear wheel drive. AND rear engine... yay!

Jan

VWGirl wrote:

Reply to
Jan

Wow!

Jan

Nor-Cal VW's wrote:

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

I have some selecter button on the dash... but it's broke and i ferget what it does... I have driven this van a total of about 50 miles since it has been in my posession for the past 14 mos. It's mine now... so maybe it will get some road time... but syncros are expensive and i dunno how long that blown head gasket will hold up :-/ and the only gauge that works is the coolant temp gauge... and it seems to flash whenever it wants... flashed til it warmed up the other day... quite odd!

Reply to
VWGirl

isn't a "blown headgasket" a head gasket that is *NOT* holding up?

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue