65 vw flywheel changeout

Hi. I received a few replies to my 65 bug with 12 volts with 6 volt starter that seldom strats the first time. I'm wondering if I replaced the 6 volt flywheel again, would that alleviate my hard starting problems for a few years(like it did last time). How hard is it to do? I've never removed a VW engine before and am not a great mechanic. Any idea what a shop would charge me? Thanks, John(Napa, CA).

Reply to
john

Better have a shop do it. Takes tools you won't have. The endplay must be set carefully and oil seal replaced as well.

Installing a 12V starter has been suggested. However, putting a 12V flywheel on a 6V engine (40HP) is not practical. (I dare not say "impossible", as someone will mention rare-as-a-Dodo flywheel which *will* fit.)

DO read the 6V/12V conversion article on my web site for more insight into this...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim